DATE: ca. 935 BC
The Hebrew title is Qoheleth means “one who convenes and speaks at an assembly,” or “an ecclesiastic,” or “preacher.” The Greek equivalent, ecclesiastes, also means “preacher” and is derived from the word “assembly.”
Though not specified to be Solomon, many believe him to be the author because the author identifies himself as “the son of David, king in Jerusalem” (Ecc 1:1). References in the book to the author’s unrivaled wisdom (1:16), unequaled wealth (2:7), excessive pleasures (2:3), and extensive building activities (2:4-6) all point to the author being Solomon, since no other descendant of David measured up to such specifications. Additionally, Jewish tradition has explicitly stated that Solomon was the author.
The message of the book may be stated in the form of three propositions:
- when you look at life with its seemingly aimless cycles (1:4ff.) and inexplicable paradoxes (4:1; 7:15; 8:8), you might conclude that all is futile, since it is impossible to discern any purpose in the ordering of events;
- nevertheless, life is to be enjoyed to the fullest, realizing that it is the gift of God (3:12-13; 3:22; 5:18-19; 8:15; 9:7-9);
- the wise man will live his life in obedience to God, recognizing that God will eventually judge all men (3:16-17; 12:14).
Ecclesiastes is a book that asks all the questions that the rest of the Bible answers.
The great lesson of this book is that satisfaction is only found in God. The book clearly teaches that there is nothing new “under the sun” (worldly things) and all things “under the sun” will not satisfy. Our hope is above the sun. Jesus is our Hope! The preacher sums this up in his closing words…
Eccl 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all.
Verses frequently quoted from the book include 1:2; 3:1; 4:12b; 11:1; 12:1, 13.
OUTLINE OF ECCLESIASTES
I. Prologue: The Author and Thesis, 1:1-3
II. The Thesis Demonstrated, 1:4-2:26
A. The Futility of the Cycles of Life, 1:4-11
B. The Futility of Human Wisdom, 1:12-18
C. The Futility of Pleasure and Wealth, 2:1-11
D. The Futility of Materialism, 2:12-23
E. Conclusion: Enjoy and Be Content with the Providences of God, 2:24-26
III. God’s Design for Life, 3:1-22
A. He Gives Life’s Order of Events, 3:1-11
B. He Gives the Good Gifts of Life, 3:12-13
C. He Gives the Perspective of Future Judgment,
D. Conclusion, 3:22
IV. The Futility of the Various Circumstances of Life, 4:1-5:20
A. Oppression, 4:1-3
B. Work, 4:4-12
C. Political Success, 4:13-16
D. False Worship, 5:1-7
E. Hoarded Riches, 5:8-17
F. Conclusion, 5:18-20
V. The Futility of Riches, 6:1-12
VI. Counsel for Living, 7:1-12:8
A. Counsel in View of Man’s Wickedness, 7:1-29
B. Counsel in View of God’s Inscrutable Providences, 8:1-9:18
C. Counsel in View of the Uncertainties of Life, 10:1-20
D. Counsel in View of the Aging Processes of Life, 11:1-12:8
VII. Conclusion, 12:9-14
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas