DATE: ca. 935 BC
The Hebrew title is Qoheleth means “one who convenes and speaks at an assembly,” or “an ecclesiastic,” or “preacher.” The Greek equivalent, ecclesiastes, also means “preacher” and is derived from the word “assembly.”
Though not specified to be Solomon, many believe him to be the author because the author identifies himself as “the son of David, king in Jerusalem” (Ecc 1:1). References in the book to the author’s unrivaled wisdom (1:16), unequaled wealth (2:7), excessive pleasures (2:3), and extensive building activities (2:4-6) all point to the author being Solomon, since no other descendant of David measured up to such specifications. Additionally, Jewish tradition has explicitly stated that Solomon was the author.
The message of the book may be stated in the form of three propositions:
- when you look at life with its seemingly aimless cycles (1:4ff.) and inexplicable paradoxes (4:1; 7:15; 8:8), you might conclude that all is futile, since it is impossible to discern any purpose in the ordering of events;
- nevertheless, life is to be enjoyed to the fullest, realizing that it is the gift of God (3:12-13; 3:22; 5:18-19; 8:15; 9:7-9);
- the wise man will live his life in obedience to God, recognizing that God will eventually judge all men (3:16-17; 12:14).
Ecclesiastes is a book that asks all the questions that the rest of the Bible answers.
The great lesson of this book is that satisfaction is only found in God. The book clearly teaches that there is nothing new “under the sun” (worldly things) and all things “under the sun” will not satisfy. Our hope is above the sun. Jesus is our Hope! The preacher sums this up in his closing words…
Eccl 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all.
Verses frequently quoted from the book include 1:2; 3:1; 4:12b; 11:1; 12:1, 13.
OUTLINE OF ECCLESIASTES
I. Prologue: The Author and Thesis, 1:1-3
II. The Thesis Demonstrated, 1:4-2:26
A. The Futility of the Cycles of Life, 1:4-11
B. The Futility of Human Wisdom, 1:12-18
C. The Futility of Pleasure and Wealth, 2:1-11
D. The Futility of Materialism, 2:12-23
E. Conclusion: Enjoy and Be Content with the Providences of God, 2:24-26
III. God’s Design for Life, 3:1-22
A. He Gives Life’s Order of Events, 3:1-11
B. He Gives the Good Gifts of Life, 3:12-13
C. He Gives the Perspective of Future Judgment,
D. Conclusion, 3:22
IV. The Futility of the Various Circumstances of Life, 4:1-5:20
A. Oppression, 4:1-3
B. Work, 4:4-12
C. Political Success, 4:13-16
D. False Worship, 5:1-7
E. Hoarded Riches, 5:8-17
F. Conclusion, 5:18-20
V. The Futility of Riches, 6:1-12
VI. Counsel for Living, 7:1-12:8
A. Counsel in View of Man’s Wickedness, 7:1-29
B. Counsel in View of God’s Inscrutable Providences, 8:1-9:18
C. Counsel in View of the Uncertainties of Life, 10:1-20
D. Counsel in View of the Aging Processes of Life, 11:1-12:8
VII. Conclusion, 12:9-14
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge