Revelation 3:5 records the words of Jesus that were written in a letter and sent to the church at Sardis. Some might read this verse and think it suggests that salvation can be lost if one does not overcome.
Rev 3:5 “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.”
With a quick reading, it does seem to imply that one’s name can be blotted out from the Book of Life. But is that true? Can a believer be blotted out of the Book of Life? To answer this, we must begin with what we know to be true.
Salvation is by Grace Alone
Only by trusting in Jesus’ work (paying for our sins, conquering death, and opening the way to the Father) is anyone saved. And only by Jesus’ faithfulness is anyone kept (He promises that the life He gives is eternal). Let’s focus on the assurance of our eternal security in Christ, before answering the question about Revelation 3:5.
The Security of God’s Children
In speaking to Nicodemus (a prominent Pharisee), Jesus said that one must be born again to enter into the Kingdom of God (John 3:3-8). As born again Christians, we have the assurance of eternal (never-ending) life.
1. Born again Christians are overcomers:
1 John 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
1 John 5:4 -5 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world; our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
2. We have been given the gift of eternal life:
Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
3. Jesus and the Father hold us securely and will never let us go:
John 10:28-30 “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.”
4. Our salvation is secure because it is not based on our works, which will always fall short:
Eph 2:9 Not of [our] works, lest any man should boast. Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship [saved by Jesus], created in Christ Jesus [regenerated in Him] unto [to do] good works…
5. The security of our salvation is based on Jesus’ work
Rom 5:8-9 God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
6. Finally, and most significant, Jesus is faithful and true (Rev 3:14, 19:11, 22:6) and He has promised our eternal security:
Heb 13:5 …He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
1 John 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
Revelation 3:5 in Context
The overcoming in Revelation 3:5 should not be read as a condition of salvation, ie. if you overcome, you will not be blotted out; if you don’t overcome, you will be blotted out. We know that there is nothing we can do to earn salvation and there is nothing we can do that will cause us to lose it. We are eternally secure. Therefore, Revelation 3:5 should be read as an assurance of salvation. It might be helpful to read it without the “not blotted out” statement:
Rev 3:5 “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments . . . I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.”
“I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life” is a restatement of what we already know. We know our salvation is eternal and we will never be blotted out of the Book of Life (Read: What is the Book of Life?)
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire (Rev 20:15). God doesn’t want anyone to perish (2 Pet 3:9), and neither should we. Tell people about Jesus. Tell them how they can receive the gift of eternal life. Ask them the question What If You Die Today? Be ready to share the gospel with them (Read: What If You Die Today? )
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED