DATE: 1410 B.C.
The Hebrew title of this book is taken from the opening phrase Eleh ha-devarim, “These are the words…” The English title “Deuteronomy” comes from the Greek deuteronomion, meaning “second law,” or “a copy of this law” in Deuteronomy 17:18.
Deuteronomy elaborates on the responsibilities of Israel as God’s covenant people. Many of the laws contained in Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers are repeated in Deuteronomy.
The book records the words of Moses spoken during the final months of his life in the plains of Moab prior to the nation’s entrance into the Promised Land. The people would soon be led by Joshua into a land in which they would face war, temptations, and a new way of life. These people had not personally experienced God’s deliverance at the Red Sea or the giving of the law at Sinai so Moses reminded them of God’s power and His laws.
It’s understood that the account of Moses’ death in chapter 34 could not have been written by Moses, but that does not deny the authorship of Moses for the rest of the book. It was customary to add an obituary to the final work of a great man, and it presumed that someone (perhaps Joshua) would have added the obituray to the last writings Moses.
The book may be considered to be a constitution for the nation of Israel in the land. The document begins with a preamble (1:1-5) and a historical prologue (1:6-4:49). It then offers provisions (5:1-26:19) and consequences for disobedience and blessings for faithful obedience (27:1-30:20). Finally, if closses with arrangements for continuation of the covenant (31:1-33:29).
Jesus quoted from this book to refute the devil (Matt. 4:1-11) and to summarize the law (Matt. 22:37). Of the 27 books of the New Testament, 17 books contain quotes from Deuteronomy.
Important passages in Deuteronomy include: 5:6-21 (the Ten Commandments); 6:4-9 (the Shema, “Hear, O Israel”); 13:1-5 (on false prophets); 18:9-15 (on false diviners); 29:1-30:20 (the Palestinian covenant).
OUTLINE OF DEUTERONOMY
I. Introduction, 1:1-5
II. Recapitulation of Israel’s Wanderings: Historical, 1:6-4:43
A. Israel at Sinai, 1:6-18
B. Israel at Kadesh-barnea, 1:19-46
C. Israel’s Journey from Kadesh to Moab, 2:1-3:29
1. The journey to Transjordan, 2:1-23
2. The conquest of Transjordan, 2:24-3:11
3. The allotment of Transjordan, 3:12-29
D. Israel on the Plains of Moab, 4:1-43
1. A call to obedience, 4:1-40
2. The cities of refuge, 4:41-43
III. Rehearsal of Israel’s Law: Legal, 4:44-26:19
A. Commands Concerning God, 4:44-12:32
1. The Ten Commandments, 4:44-5:33
2. The command to love the Lord, 6:1-25
3. The command to destroy the Canaanites, 7:1-26
4. The command to remember God’s past dealings, 8:1-10:11
5. The call to commitment, 10:12-11:32
6. The command concerning the central sanctuary, 12:1-32
B. Commands Concerning False Prophets, 13:1-18
C. Commands Concerning Food, 14:1-21
D. Commands Concerning Tithes, 14:22-29
E. Commands Concerning the Sabbath Year, 15:1-23
F. Commands Concerning Festivals, 16:1-17
G. Commands Concerning Leaders, 16:18-18:22
1. Judges, Deut 16:18-17:13
2. Kings, Deut 17:14-20
3. Levites, Deut 18:1-8
4. False Diviners, 18:9-14
5. Messiah, 18:15-19
6. Prophets, 18:20-22
H. Commands Concerning Human Relationships, 19:1-26:19
1. The cities of refuge, 19:1-13
2. The boundary mark, Deut 19:14
3. Witnesses, 19:15-21
4. Warfare, 20:1-20
5. Manslaughter, 21:1-9
6. Marriage and family life, 21:10-22:30
7. The assembly, 23:1-18
8. Protection for the weak, 23:19-25:19
9. First Fruits, 26:1-19
IV. Ratification of Israel’s Covenant, 27:1-30:20
A. Prerequisite Ceremonies, 27:1-26
B. Promise of Blessings, 28:1-14
C. Promise of Curses, 28:15-68
D. Provisions of the Palestinian Covenant, 29:1-30:20
V. Conclusion, 31:1-34:12
A. Charges Related to Moses, 31:1-29
B. Song of Moses, Deut 31:30-32:47
C. Testament of Moses, 32:48-33:29
D. Death of Moses, 34:1-12
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED