DATE: 61-62 AD
Key Message: The Supremacy of Christ
Colosse was a Roman city of Asia Minor located about 100 miles east of Ephesus and near Laodicea and Hierapolis (4:13). It had been a prosperous commercial center but was in decline. Jewish legalism, Greek philosophy, and Oriental mysticism existed in Colosse and the combining of various ideas, beliefs, and practices (syncretism) prevailed. Specifics included dietary and Sabbath observances and circumcision rites (2:11, 16), the worship of angels (2:18), and the practice of asceticism, which stemmed from the belief that the body was inherently evil (2:21-23).
Like Ephesians, Philippians, and Philemon, Colossians was written during Paul’s first imprisonment in Rome. Paul was personally unacquainted with the believers in Colosse (Col 2:1) but learned of the problems in the church from Epaphras. Tychicus delivered the letter (Col. 4:7), in which Paul’s message to the Colossians was clear: Christ is preeminent. Paul wrote of the cosmic significance of Christ as Lord of Creation and Head of the Church (Col 1:15-23), and he exhorted that any teaching or practice that detracts from the centrality and supremacy of Christ is heresy(Col 2:8-23). He also encouraged the Colossians by writing or their union with Christ (Col 3:1-4).
OUTLINE OF COLOSSIANS
I. Introduction, 1:1-14
A. Greetings, 1:1-2
B. Gratitude for the Colossians’ Faith, 1:3-8
C. Prayer for the Colossians’ Growth, 1:9-14
II. The Exalted Christ, 1:15-29
A. Christ’s Character, 1:15-23
B. Christ’s Commission to Paul, 1:24-29
III. The Exalted Christianity, 2:1-23
A. Exalted over Philosophy, 2:1-10
B. Exalted over Legalism, 2:11-17
C. Exalted over Mystical Teaching, 2:18-19
D. Exalted over Asceticism, 2:20-23
IV. The Exalted Calling, 3:1-4:6
A. The Certainties of Our Calling, 3:1-4
B. The Characteristics of Our Calling, 3:5-4:6
1. In everyday life, 3:5-17
2. In the home, 3:18-21
3. In slave-master relationships, 3:22-4:1
4. In prayers, 4:2-4
5. In witness and speech, 4:5-6
V. Concluding Personal Remarks, 4:7-18
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas