“Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts.” 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 [See also Ephesians 1:14.]
A sensible joy of faith and great delight in prayer are not the only evidence of the earnest and sealing of the Spirit. The former is sometimes lacking, when we have reason to believe we are sealed by these marks:
- when we receive Christ in all His offices and have a sincere desire to do the will of God in all things;
- when we love the ordinances of Christ, and regard the children of God with brotherly affection and seek to do them good;
- when we hate sin and watch and pray against it; and,
- when we are poor in spirit, vile in our own eyes, and are led into further acquaintance with Christ Himself and with His gospel, by the Spirit.
These are constant marks, even for the weakest. With them, none need doubt. Without them, hope is false and altogether vain. But, however much we may have obtained, there is much more in Christ to be received.
- His grace will sink us in the depths of humility and raise us to the heights of holiness.
- His grace will crush our fears, destroy our doubts, and fill us with confidence.
- O, Jesus, give us more grace, more grace! He gives grace to the humble.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR