“Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering.” Genesis 22:2
Abraham desired earnestly to see into the mystery of redemption. And God, in order to affect his mind most sensibly with the intenseness of Divine love as beaming forth from that mystery, caused Abraham to feel, by anticipation, what it was to lose a beloved son:“Take now your son, your only son, your Isaac, the staff of your age, the hope of your family (none else do I require), and offer him up for a burnt offering. In this transaction, see My love to sinners, when I shall give My only Son Jesus to be a sacrifice for them.”
Abraham obeyed. He virtually sacrificed his son with a ram substituted in his place, and blessings were poured upon the faithful patriarch. In the whole narrative, we have a lively type of greater things:
- the day when God spared not His own Son, when He was bound with cords, when He bore His cross, and on this mountain was offered up an offering for sin.
- the day when He rose again to live forevermore.
- His seed, even His redeemed people, whom no man can number and whose possessions are the glories of Heaven and eternity.
Gracious Savior, help me to be faithful, to keep back nothing from You. When You have tried me, crown the faith You have bestowed with the unfading glory You have promised to them that are faithful unto death. Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift!
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here NOW!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and we need your help to continue. Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?*** Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR