“Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering.” Genesis 22:2
Abraham desired earnestly to see into the mystery of redemption. And God, in order to affect his mind most sensibly with the intenseness of Divine love as beaming forth from that mystery, caused Abraham to feel, by anticipation, what it was to lose a beloved son:“Take now your son, your only son, your Isaac, the staff of your age, the hope of your family (none else do I require), and offer him up for a burnt offering. In this transaction, see My love to sinners, when I shall give My only Son Jesus to be a sacrifice for them.”
Abraham obeyed. He virtually sacrificed his son with a ram substituted in his place, and blessings were poured upon the faithful patriarch. In the whole narrative, we have a lively type of greater things:
- the day when God spared not His own Son, when He was bound with cords, when He bore His cross, and on this mountain was offered up an offering for sin.
- the day when He rose again to live forevermore.
- His seed, even His redeemed people, whom no man can number and whose possessions are the glories of Heaven and eternity.
Gracious Savior, help me to be faithful, to keep back nothing from You. When You have tried me, crown the faith You have bestowed with the unfading glory You have promised to them that are faithful unto death. Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift!
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR