The question “Where did Cain get his wife?” is asked by both skeptics and believers. The Bible answers the question.
Cain was the firstborn son of Adam and Eve. He was born after Adam and Eve were cast out of God’s perfect Garden because of their sin (Gen 3:24). Gen 4:1-2 tells about the birth of Adam and Eve’s second son, Abel.
Genesis 4 tells of both Cain and Abel bringing sacrifices to God. When Abel’s was accepted and Cain’s was not, Cain rose up against his brother and killed him (Gen 4:8). God gave him an opportunity to repent, but when he did not, God put a curse on Cain and drove him out from the land of his family (Gen 4:9-15). We then read that Cain went east of Eden to a place called Nod and there began his own family:
Gen 4:16-17 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
Since there were no other people groups on earth, it’s logical to ask, where did Cain get his wife?
The Bible does not say that Cain found a wife in the land of Nod. Scripture only says that Cain “knew his wife and she conceived” and gave birth to a son (“knew,” in ancient Hebrew literature, means he had sexual relations with her). The Bible also records that Adam and Eve had more children.
Gen 5:3-4 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
Cain, Abel, and Seth are the only children of Adam and Eve mentioned in the Bible. But it is clear that there were others, both male and female.
Cain Married Adam’s Daughter, His Sister
That’s the answer. Because there were no other people groups on earth, Cain had to have married one of Adam’s daughters. And yes, she would have been one of his sisters.
This sounds terrible and unacceptable to modern minds, but in ancient human history, intermarriage was acceptable, permissible, and necessary. It wasn’t until many generations later that God prohibited marriage between close relatives:
Leviticus 18:6 None of you shall approach anyone who is near of kin to him, to uncover his nakedness.
Leviticus 20:11 The man who lies with his father’s wife has uncovered his father’s nakedness; both of them shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.
Deuteronomy 27:20 Cursed is the one who lies with his father’s wife, because he has uncovered his father’s bed.
This raises the question, Why would God forbid intermarriage when He originally permitted it?
The reason that after generations passed God began to forbid close intermarriage is because of the introduction of genetic defects into the human race. In the Garden after Adam sinned, Adam’s physical body began to die and genetic mutation began to appear in that which God had created perfect — the human body. With each passing generation, these genetic mutations increased and God’s prohibition of intermarriage, many generations later, was given to protect His people. However, when Cain married one of his sisters, their brother-sister genetic makeup was still pure enough that intermarriage would not have been a problem.
God’s Command Against Intermarriage
The reason God forbid close intermarriage was because of the introduction of genetic defects into the human race.
In the Garden, prior to the fall, Adam and Eve had genetically perfect bodies. But when they sinned, their bodies began to die and with each passing generation, genetic mutation increased. That’s why, many generations after Adam and Eve, God protected His people by the Levitical law of forbidding marriage between close relatives. However, when Cain married one of his sisters, their genetic makeup would have still been pure enough that intermarriage would not have been a problem.
So Who Was Cain’s Wife?
We don’t know her name. The Bible does not tell us who she was or when he took her to be his wife. There are extra-biblical stories that attribute a name to her, but they should not be considered reliable.
What we do know is:
- The population of the human race was very small at the time of Cain.
- Adam and Eve had both sons and daughters at this time
- Cain’s wife was his sister.
- Without a name, we can only call her, “Cain’s wife.”
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED