DATE: circa 7:30-760 B.C.
Amos was a shepherd and a fig farmer (Amos 7:14) in the southern village of Tekoa in Judah (a village 10 mi, or 16 km, S of Jerusalem). God called Amos (7:15) and sent him to Bethel to prophesy of His coming judgment on the Northern Kingdom of Israel. The Northern Kingdom had set up two idolatrous religious centers, Dan in the north and Bethel in the south. Bethel was on the southernmost border of Israel, 10 1/2 miles north of Jerusalem. His prophesying was met with great opposition and defiance and he returned to Judah where he penned God’s message.
Amos prophesied in the times of Uzziah, king of Judah (791-740 BC Israel was a prosperous and powerful nation, under the influence of King Jeroboam Il 793-753). However, he was idolatrous and corrupt (cf. 2 Kings 14:24-25). Material prosperity and social evils further characterized the times (2:6-8; 3:10; 4:1; 5:10-12; 8:4-6).
The theme of the book is God convicting the people of their sins of paganized worship, self-sufficiency, and selfishness. Amos prophesies of God’s impending judgment by proclaiming God’s words of “I will…” [do something] 52 times.
- Amos issued an urgent call to repentance as the only escape from coming judgment.
- Amos spoke to a people of unrivaled economic success, the wealthiest nation of its time, and it should have made them thankful. Instead, it made them materialistic.
- Amos spoke to the nation with the strongest military, no other nation could stand against their army. It should have made them responsible, but it made them arrogant.
- Amos spoke to a people proud of their religious heritage, but who had somehow lost their connection with the Lord. They couldn’t figure out how to get it back and didn’t care very much.
- Amos spoke to a people where religion had become easy, convenient, and politically correct. It left them far from God and starving for something real.
Amos declared that Israel’s privileged position should have been an incentive to righteous living, not an excuse for satisfying sinful desires. The book of Amos was written 3,000 years ago, but this book remains relevant for today.
Some favorite and important verses include Amos 3:2, 3; Amos 3:7, Amos 4:12, Amos 5:6, Amos 5:24; Amos 9:11.
OUTLINE OF AMOS
I. The Author and Theme of the Book, 1:1-2
II. The Prophecies of Amos, 1:3-2:16
A. Concerning Damascus, 1:3-5
B. Concerning Philistia, 1:6-8
C. Concerning Tyre, 1:9-10
D. Concerning Edom, 1:11-12
E. Concerning Ammon, 1:13-15
F. Concerning Moab, 2:1-3
G. Concerning Judah, 2:4-5
H. Concerning Israel, 2:6-16
III. The Sermons of Amos, 3:1-6:14
A. The Doom of Israel, 3:1-15
B. The Depravity of Israel, 4:1-13
C. A Dirge over Israel, 5:1-6:14
1. The ruin of Israel in coming judgment, 5:1-17
2. The rebuke of religious people, 5:18-27
3. The reprimand of the entire nation, 6:1-14
IV. The Visions of Amos, 7:1-9:15
A. A Vision of Devouring Locusts, 7:1-3
B. A Vision of Fire, 7:4-6
C. A Vision of a Plumb Line, 7:7-9
D. A Historical Interlude: Opposition from the Priest of Bethel, 7:10-17
E. A Vision of a Basket of Summer Fruit, 8:1-14
F. A Vision of the Lord Judging, 9:1-10
G. A Vision of Future Blessing, 9:11-15
In the Bible, Amos the prophet saw the Day of Judgment fast approaching for Israel. He warned the people to prepare to meet God. Truth is, the word preparedness should be a key word for everyone. It is strange that we prepare for everything except meeting God. We prepare for marriage. We prepare for a career. We prepare for education. But we do not prepare to meet God. Even though most Americans see the storm clouds gathering on the horizon, by and large, we are making few preparations to meet God. This is a time for repentance and faith. It is a time for soul-searching, to see if our anchor holds. — Billy Graham
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas