DATE: 56 A.D.
Since the problems Paul adressed in his letter to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians) were not corrected (2 Cor. 2:1; 12:14; 13:1-2), he fel it necessary to go there in person. Following his visit, Paul wrote the church a severe and sorrowful letter (2 Cor 2:4), that we do not have. Titus delivered that letter and Paul traveled to Macedonia to meet him on his return. Titus had a good report that the church had repented of their rebelliousness and sin. From Macedonia, Paul wrote 2 Corinthians and followed it up with his final recorded visit to the church (Acts 20:1-4).
The purpose of this letter was threefold: 1) to express joy at the favorable response of the church to Paul’s ministry (2 Cor 1-7); 2) to remind the believers of their commitment to the offering for the Christians in Judea (2 Cor 8-9); and 3) to defend Paul’s apostolic authority (2 Cor 10-13). The letter contains many glimpses into Paul’s life (2 Cor 4:8-18; 11:22-33). The longest discussion of giving in the New Testament is in 2 Cor 8 and 9. Important verses include 2 Cor 5:10, 20-21; 6:14; 8:9; 10:5; 11:14; 12:9; and 13:14.
OUTLINE OF 2 CORINTHIANS
I. Introduction, 1:1-11
A. Salutation, 1:1-2
II. The Apostle’s Conciliation with Respect to the Problem at Corinth, 1:12-2:13
A. The Change in Paul’s Plans, 1:12-2:4
B. The Change in the Offender’s Punishment, 2:5-11
C. The Meeting with Titus, 2 Cor 2:12-13
II. The Apostolic Ministry, 2:14-6:10
A. The Confidence of the Ministry: Victory, 2:14-17
B. The Commendation of the Ministry: Changed Lives, 3:1-3
C. The Covenant for the Ministry: The New Covenant, 3:4-18
D. The Character of the Ministry: Supernatural, 4:1-6
E. The Circumstances of the Ministry, 4:7-18
F. The Compulsions of the Ministry, 5:1-21
1. The assurance of resurrection, 5:1-9
2. The judgment seat of Christ, 5:10-13
3. The love of Christ, 5:14-21
G. The Conduct of the Ministry, 6:1-10
IV. The Apostle’s Exhortations to the Corinthians, 6:11-7:16
A. Be Open Toward Him, 6:11-13
B. Be Separated from Evil, 6:14-7:1
C. Be Assured of His Joy over Their Repentance, 7:2-16
V. The Apostle’s Solicitation (or Collection) for the Judean Saints, 8:1-9:15
A. Principles for Giving, 8:1-6
B. Purposes for Giving, 8:7-15
C. Policies in Giving, 8:16-9:5
D. Promises in Giving, 9:6-15
VI. The Apostle’s Vindication of Himself, 10:1-12:18
A. The Authority of His Apostleship, 10:1-18
B. The Marks of His Apostleship, 11:1-12:18
1. Paul’s conduct, 11:1-15
2. Paul’s sufferings, 11:16-33
3. Paul’s vision, 12:1-10
4. Paul’s unselfishness, 12:11-18
VII Concluding Remarks, 12:19-13:14
A. Appeal for Repentance, 12:19-21
B. Statement of Plans, 13:1-10
C. Greetings and Benediction, 13:11-14
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.