DATE: 56 A.D.
Since the problems Paul adressed in his letter to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians) were not corrected (2 Cor. 2:1; 12:14; 13:1-2), he fel it necessary to go there in person. Following his visit, Paul wrote the church a severe and sorrowful letter (2 Cor 2:4), that we do not have. Titus delivered that letter and Paul traveled to Macedonia to meet him on his return. Titus had a good report that the church had repented of their rebelliousness and sin. From Macedonia, Paul wrote 2 Corinthians and followed it up with his final recorded visit to the church (Acts 20:1-4).
The purpose of this letter was threefold: 1) to express joy at the favorable response of the church to Paul’s ministry (2 Cor 1-7); 2) to remind the believers of their commitment to the offering for the Christians in Judea (2 Cor 8-9); and 3) to defend Paul’s apostolic authority (2 Cor 10-13). The letter contains many glimpses into Paul’s life (2 Cor 4:8-18; 11:22-33). The longest discussion of giving in the New Testament is in 2 Cor 8 and 9. Important verses include 2 Cor 5:10, 20-21; 6:14; 8:9; 10:5; 11:14; 12:9; and 13:14.
OUTLINE OF 2 CORINTHIANS
I. Introduction, 1:1-11
A. Salutation, 1:1-2
II. The Apostle’s Conciliation with Respect to the Problem at Corinth, 1:12-2:13
A. The Change in Paul’s Plans, 1:12-2:4
B. The Change in the Offender’s Punishment, 2:5-11
C. The Meeting with Titus, 2 Cor 2:12-13
II. The Apostolic Ministry, 2:14-6:10
A. The Confidence of the Ministry: Victory, 2:14-17
B. The Commendation of the Ministry: Changed Lives, 3:1-3
C. The Covenant for the Ministry: The New Covenant, 3:4-18
D. The Character of the Ministry: Supernatural, 4:1-6
E. The Circumstances of the Ministry, 4:7-18
F. The Compulsions of the Ministry, 5:1-21
1. The assurance of resurrection, 5:1-9
2. The judgment seat of Christ, 5:10-13
3. The love of Christ, 5:14-21
G. The Conduct of the Ministry, 6:1-10
IV. The Apostle’s Exhortations to the Corinthians, 6:11-7:16
A. Be Open Toward Him, 6:11-13
B. Be Separated from Evil, 6:14-7:1
C. Be Assured of His Joy over Their Repentance, 7:2-16
V. The Apostle’s Solicitation (or Collection) for the Judean Saints, 8:1-9:15
A. Principles for Giving, 8:1-6
B. Purposes for Giving, 8:7-15
C. Policies in Giving, 8:16-9:5
D. Promises in Giving, 9:6-15
VI. The Apostle’s Vindication of Himself, 10:1-12:18
A. The Authority of His Apostleship, 10:1-18
B. The Marks of His Apostleship, 11:1-12:18
1. Paul’s conduct, 11:1-15
2. Paul’s sufferings, 11:16-33
3. Paul’s vision, 12:1-10
4. Paul’s unselfishness, 12:11-18
VII Concluding Remarks, 12:19-13:14
A. Appeal for Repentance, 12:19-21
B. Statement of Plans, 13:1-10
C. Greetings and Benediction, 13:11-14
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge