DATE: 56 A.D.
Since the problems Paul adressed in his letter to the Corinthians (1 Corinthians) were not corrected (2 Cor. 2:1; 12:14; 13:1-2), he fel it necessary to go there in person. Following his visit, Paul wrote the church a severe and sorrowful letter (2 Cor 2:4), that we do not have. Titus delivered that letter and Paul traveled to Macedonia to meet him on his return. Titus had a good report that the church had repented of their rebelliousness and sin. From Macedonia, Paul wrote 2 Corinthians and followed it up with his final recorded visit to the church (Acts 20:1-4).
The purpose of this letter was threefold: 1) to express joy at the favorable response of the church to Paul’s ministry (2 Cor 1-7); 2) to remind the believers of their commitment to the offering for the Christians in Judea (2 Cor 8-9); and 3) to defend Paul’s apostolic authority (2 Cor 10-13). The letter contains many glimpses into Paul’s life (2 Cor 4:8-18; 11:22-33). The longest discussion of giving in the New Testament is in 2 Cor 8 and 9. Important verses include 2 Cor 5:10, 20-21; 6:14; 8:9; 10:5; 11:14; 12:9; and 13:14.
OUTLINE OF 2 CORINTHIANS
I. Introduction, 1:1-11
A. Salutation, 1:1-2
II. The Apostle’s Conciliation with Respect to the Problem at Corinth, 1:12-2:13
A. The Change in Paul’s Plans, 1:12-2:4
B. The Change in the Offender’s Punishment, 2:5-11
C. The Meeting with Titus, 2 Cor 2:12-13
II. The Apostolic Ministry, 2:14-6:10
A. The Confidence of the Ministry: Victory, 2:14-17
B. The Commendation of the Ministry: Changed Lives, 3:1-3
C. The Covenant for the Ministry: The New Covenant, 3:4-18
D. The Character of the Ministry: Supernatural, 4:1-6
E. The Circumstances of the Ministry, 4:7-18
F. The Compulsions of the Ministry, 5:1-21
1. The assurance of resurrection, 5:1-9
2. The judgment seat of Christ, 5:10-13
3. The love of Christ, 5:14-21
G. The Conduct of the Ministry, 6:1-10
IV. The Apostle’s Exhortations to the Corinthians, 6:11-7:16
A. Be Open Toward Him, 6:11-13
B. Be Separated from Evil, 6:14-7:1
C. Be Assured of His Joy over Their Repentance, 7:2-16
V. The Apostle’s Solicitation (or Collection) for the Judean Saints, 8:1-9:15
A. Principles for Giving, 8:1-6
B. Purposes for Giving, 8:7-15
C. Policies in Giving, 8:16-9:5
D. Promises in Giving, 9:6-15
VI. The Apostle’s Vindication of Himself, 10:1-12:18
A. The Authority of His Apostleship, 10:1-18
B. The Marks of His Apostleship, 11:1-12:18
1. Paul’s conduct, 11:1-15
2. Paul’s sufferings, 11:16-33
3. Paul’s vision, 12:1-10
4. Paul’s unselfishness, 12:11-18
VII Concluding Remarks, 12:19-13:14
A. Appeal for Repentance, 12:19-21
B. Statement of Plans, 13:1-10
C. Greetings and Benediction, 13:11-14
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED