DATE: 51 AD
On his second missionary journey (Acts 17:1-14), Paul went to the Macedonian port city of Thessalonica taking with him Silas and Timothy. This was the second place the gospel was preached in Europe (Philippi was first). Some think that Paul was in Thessalonica less than a month (only three Sabbaths are mentioned in Acts 17:2). However, since this church was largely Gentile, his ministry was likely outside the synagogue and the Jewish community. The men departed under pressure and went to Athens, but Paul sent Timothy back to Thessalonica (1 Thess 3:1-2, 5) to encourage the believers and then to report back on the condition of the church. Timothy rejoined Paul in Corinth (3:6). His report was a healthy church and Paul wrote to them to express relief and gratitude, to defend his ministry (1 Thess 2:9-10), to encourage new converts to stand strong and not revert to former pagan standards (1 Thess 3:2-3; 4:1-12) and to answer questions about what happens to Christians who die before the return of the Lord (4:13-18). Paul also addressed some problems in their church that needed to be dealt with (1 Thess 5:12-13, 19-20).
There are significant passages in this book that relate to the rapture of the church (1 Thess 4:13-18) and the Day of the Lord (1 Thess 5:1-11).
OUTLINE OF 1 THESSALONIANS
I. Personal and Historical, 1:1-3:13
A. Paul’s Greeting, 1:1
B. Paul’s Commendation of the Thessalonians, 1:2-10
C. Paul’s Conduct Among the Thessalonians, 2:1-12
1. His uprightness, 2:1-4
2. His industry, 2:5-9
3. His blameless behavior, 2:10-12
D. Paul’s Concern for the Thessalonians, 2:13-3:13
1. For their sufferings, 2:13-20
2. For their testings (Timothy’s visit), 3:1-8
3. For their continued growth, 3:9-13
II. Practical and Hortatory, 4:1-5:28
A. Teaching Concerning Development, 4:1-12
1. In sexual relations, 4:1-8
2. In brotherly love, 4:9-10
3. In orderly living, 4:11-12
B. Teaching Concerning the Dead, 4:13-18
C. Teaching Concerning the Day of the Lord, 5:1-11
D. Teaching Concerning Various Duties, 5:12-28
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store