DATE: 51 AD
On his second missionary journey (Acts 17:1-14), Paul went to the Macedonian port city of Thessalonica taking with him Silas and Timothy. This was the second place the gospel was preached in Europe (Philippi was first). Some think that Paul was in Thessalonica less than a month (only three Sabbaths are mentioned in Acts 17:2). However, since this church was largely Gentile, his ministry was likely outside the synagogue and the Jewish community. The men departed under pressure and went to Athens, but Paul sent Timothy back to Thessalonica (1 Thess 3:1-2, 5) to encourage the believers and then to report back on the condition of the church. Timothy rejoined Paul in Corinth (3:6). His report was a healthy church and Paul wrote to them to express relief and gratitude, to defend his ministry (1 Thess 2:9-10), to encourage new converts to stand strong and not revert to former pagan standards (1 Thess 3:2-3; 4:1-12) and to answer questions about what happens to Christians who die before the return of the Lord (4:13-18). Paul also addressed some problems in their church that needed to be dealt with (1 Thess 5:12-13, 19-20).
There are significant passages in this book that relate to the rapture of the church (1 Thess 4:13-18) and the Day of the Lord (1 Thess 5:1-11).
OUTLINE OF 1 THESSALONIANS
I. Personal and Historical, 1:1-3:13
A. Paul’s Greeting, 1:1
B. Paul’s Commendation of the Thessalonians, 1:2-10
C. Paul’s Conduct Among the Thessalonians, 2:1-12
1. His uprightness, 2:1-4
2. His industry, 2:5-9
3. His blameless behavior, 2:10-12
D. Paul’s Concern for the Thessalonians, 2:13-3:13
1. For their sufferings, 2:13-20
2. For their testings (Timothy’s visit), 3:1-8
3. For their continued growth, 3:9-13
II. Practical and Hortatory, 4:1-5:28
A. Teaching Concerning Development, 4:1-12
1. In sexual relations, 4:1-8
2. In brotherly love, 4:9-10
3. In orderly living, 4:11-12
B. Teaching Concerning the Dead, 4:13-18
C. Teaching Concerning the Day of the Lord, 5:1-11
D. Teaching Concerning Various Duties, 5:12-28
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge