DATE: ca. 550 B.C.
Originally one book, 1 and 2 Kings get their names from the fact that they present the history of the kings of Israel. The book begins with the death of King David, and the succession of Solomon to the throne, and ends with the kings of the divided kingdom around 853 — Jehoshaphat in the Southern Kingdom of Judah and Ahaziah in the Northern Kingdom of Israel.
The author is thought, without certainty, to be Jeremiah. However, someone other than Jeremiah would have written the last chapter since Jeremiah was taken to Egypt (Jer. 43:6-7) and Jewish tradition suggests that he died there.
Historical sources are used (11:41; 14:19, 29) and it is both a record of kings and a declaration that the success of any of the kings, and that nation as a whole, was dependent on their faithfulness to God and His law. Apostasy and disobedience led to decline and downfall, and eventually captivity.
Significant passages include the description of Solomon’s great wisdom (chapters 3-4), the dedication of Solomon’s Temple (chapter 8), the Queen of Sheba’s visit (chapter 10), and the ministry of Elijah (particularly his confrontation with the priests of Baal on Mount Carmel, chap. 18).
OUTLINE OF 1 KINGS
I. The United Kingdom, 1:1-11:43
A. The Accession of Solomon (2 Chron. 1:1-17), 1:1-3:1
1. The struggle for the succession, 1:1-53
2. The final charge of David to Solomon, 2:1-12
3. The purge initiated by Solomon, 2:13-46
4. The marriage of Solomon, 3:1
B. The Wisdom of Solomon, 1 Kings 3:2-4:34
1. Solomon’s request for wisdom, 3:2-15
2. Solomon’s display of wisdom, 3:16-28
3. Solomon’s administration, 4:1-28
4. Solomon’s fame, 4:29-34
C. The Temple of Solomon (2 Chron. 2:1-7:22), 5:1-8:66
1. Preparations for the Temple, 5:1-18
2. Description and construction of the Temple, 6:1-38
3. Construction of other buildings, 7:1-12
4. Furnishing the Temple, 7:13-51
5. Dedication of the Temple, 8:1-66
D. The Fame of Solomon (2 Chron. 8:1-9:28), 9:1-10:29
1. His covenant from God, 9:1-9
2. His gift to Hiram, 9:10-14
3. His subjects, 9:15-25
4. His navy, 9:26-28
5. His visit from the queen of Sheba, 10:1-13
6. His wealth, 10:14-29
E. The Downfall of Solomon, 11:1-43
1. The reasons, 11:1-8
2. The warning, 11:9-13
3. The adversaries, 11:14-28
4. The prophecy of Ahijah, 11:29-40
5. The death of Solomon, 11:41-43
II. The Divided Kingdom, 12:1-22:53
A. The Rupture in the Kingdom, 12:1-24
1. The request of the northern tribes, 12:1-4
2. The reply of Rehoboam, 12:5-15
3. The revolt of the northern tribes, 12:16-24
B. The Reign of Jeroboam in Israel (931-910), 12:25-14:20
1. Establishing religious centers and worship, 12:25-33
2. Encountering the man of God, 13:1-32
3. Elevating non-Levites to the priesthood, 13:33-34
4. Experiencing his son’s sickness and Ahijah’s prophecy, 14:1-18
5. Expiring, 14:19-20
C. The Reign of Rehoboam in Judah (931-913; 2 Chron. 10:1-12:16), 14:21-31
1. Apostasy in Judah, 14:21-24
2. Attack by Shishak of Egypt, 14:25-28
3. Death of Rehoboam, 14:29-31
D. The Reign of Abijam (Abijah) in Judah (913-911; 2 Chron. 13:1-22), 15:1-8
E. The Reign of Asa in Judah (911-870; 2 Chron. 14:1-16:14), 15:9-24
1. His reforms, 15:9-15
2. His war with Baasha, 15:16-24
F. The Reign of Nadab in Israel (910-909), 15:25-31
G. The Reign of Baasha in Israel (909-886), 15:32-16:7
H. The Reign of Elah in Israel (886-885), 16:8-14
I. The Reign of Zimri in Israel (885), 16:15-20
J. The Reign of Omri in Israel (885-874), 16:21-28
K. The Reign of Ahab in Israel (874-853), 16:29-22:40
1. The beginning of Ahab’s reign, 16:29-34
2. Elijah’s prediction of drought, 17:1
3. God’s provision for Elijah, 17:2-24
4. Elijah’s challenge to the priests of Baal, 21:1-29
5. Elijah’s flight to Horeb, 19:1-18
6. Elijah’s appointment of Elisha, 19:19-21
7. Ahab’s Aramean victories, 20:1-43
8. Ahab’s desire to have Naboth’s vineyard, 21:1-29
9. Ahab’s final battle, 22:1-40
L. The Reign of Jehoshaphat in Judah (873-848; 2 Chron. 17:1-20:37), 22:41-50
M. The Reign of Ahaziah in Israel (853), 22:51-53
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas