World Smile Day is celebrated annually on the first Friday in October. Before we suggest how you can celebrate World Smile Day, let’s learn a little about the origins of this day. Since 1999, World Smile Day has been recognized as a day to encourage people to smile more often. But long before there was another effort to put smiles on the faces of people everywhere.
Thirty+ Years Earlier
Predating the commemoration of a day to smile, was the creation of the symbol that marks the day — the smiley face.
In 1963, Harvey Ball, a commercial artist employed by State Mutual Life Assurance Company of Worcester, Massachusetts (now Hanover Insurance) was commissioned to create a symbol that would raise company morale. He created the smiley face in ten minutes and was paid only $45.00 for his design. The familiar yellow circle, with smaller black dots for eyes and a crescent-shaped mouth, became the symbol of cheerfulness, joy, and goodwill for the Massachusetts insurance company. But it didn’t stop there.
The use of the smiley face increased in popularity, becoming a universal symbol understood by all. With the introduction of computers, the symbol went “electronic” with a plain text, smiley-face emoticon. Easily created by typing a colon and a right parenthesis, and sometimes with a dash for a nose, 🙂 or 🙂 , the symbol became a popular way to express emotion in online copy and emails.
A perennial favorite, the smiley face returned to its original form in 1995. With the introduction of emojis (small digital images or icons used to express an idea or emotion in electronic communication) the yellow smiley face could now be shared worldwide. Today, the round yellow emoji face does more than just smile:
Surprisingly, the simple smiley is not the most popular emoji — at least not on Facebook. In July 2018, Facebook ranked emoji use and gave the following rankings¹
The Birth of a Day to Smile
Held annually since 1999, World Smile Day® is celebrated on the first Friday of the month of October. The day is sponsored by the Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation, a foundation created after Ball’s death in 2001 to honor his name and his memory — and to encourage more smiley faces in our world. The foundation’s goal is, “to make as many people as possible aware of World Smile Day® by using the web, social media, and your help to encourage smiles and acts of kindness around the world.”
So What’s in a Smile?
A lot! As Christians, we understand that a smile can reveal the emotions of one’s soul and the thoughts in one’s mind. What we experience on the inside becomes evident on the outside. When things are going well, troubles are few, and we’re at peace, we smile. Conversely the same is true. When life is difficult, trials are challenging, pain is oppressive, circumstances are discouraging, more often than not our faces tell the story. However, we should always remember that we always have a choice.
In Psalm 42, the psalmist lamented, “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me?”
We’ve all been there. We’ve all felt discouraged or overwhelmed. We’ve all worn the frowny face instead of the smiley face . But the psalmist continued with a conscious choice — a choice to remember what is true and the One who is faithful. He chose to speak to his soul from the knowledge he had and he told himself, “hope thou in God.” Our hope is proven. It is constant and enduring. It is sufficient. Why? How? Because our hope is Jesus.
The psalmist spoke, with the knowledge he had of his God and determinedly said, “I shall yet praise Him,” and knowing his God, he proclaimed Him to be “the health of my countenance.” (Psalm 42:11) As Christians, we can have that same determined confidence in the Hope that we know to be true. Jesus has promised that He will never leave or forsake us (Heb 13:5) and that He has given us the Holy Spirit to teach, direct, and strengthen us (John 14:26, John 16:13, Eph 3:16) Remembering those things will change “the health of our countenance” and put a smile on our faces regardless of the circumstances and regardless of the day.
How to Celebrate “World Smile Day”?
It’s really very simple. Share a smile with someone today. If you feel like smiling, praise the Lord. If you don’t feel like smiling, trust the Lord and smile anyway! As Christians, we always have something to smile about.
To make it easy to share a smile, we’re offering you several “smile” greetings. Post them on Facebook, tweet them on Twitter, share them to Instagram, or text or email these smiles. When you do, use it as an opportunity to share the reason for your smile. Always be ready to share your faith and put a true smile on the face of others (TRACTS below).
Borrowing words from the ever-popular song, His Eye is on the Sparrow:
I smile because I’m happy, I smile because I’m free,
For the Lord’s eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED