If you don’t immediately recognize this man’s name, you need to know and understand who Dr. Nathanson was, what he did, and how the Lord Jesus Christ changed him completely.
[Listen, below, to an interview with great details about this man. It’s shocking and worth your time.]
Bernard N. Nathanson (July 31, 1926 – February 21, 2011) was an American obstetrician/gynecologist, the co-founder the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL, 1969, later renamed National Abortion Rights Action League), and a director of New York City’s Center for Reproductive and Sexual Health (CRASH). He worked with Betty Friedan and others to legalize abortion in the United States and was influential in promoting abortion on demand, which was affirmed in the Roe v. Wade decision.
From Pro-Abortion to Pro-Life
Dr. Nathanson became known as the father of the abortion industry, but with the development of ultrasound in the 1970s, he was able to observe a real-time abortion — and that caused him to reconsider his views on abortion.
- In 1974, Dr. Nathanson wrote: “I am deeply troubled by my own increasing certainty that I had in fact presided over 60,000 deaths.”
- In 1979, Dr. Nathanson wrote the book Aborting America telling of “the dishonest beginnings of the abortion movement.”
- And in 1983, Dr. Nathanson debated Henry Morgentaler, an abortion rights advocate who fought to expand abortion rights in Canada. The same year the movie ttitled The Silent Scream was released, which Dr. Nathanson directed and narrated in co-operation with the National Right to Life Committee. The movie showed an ultrasound video of a mid-term (12 weeks) abortion.
Dr. Nathanson’s second documentary, Eclipse of Reason, addressed late-term abortions. In the documentary, he stated that the numbers he once cited for NARAL concerning the number of deaths linked to illegal abortions were “false figures.”
Conversion to Jesus
Dr. Nathanson’s mind was changed when his eyes were opened to see an ultrasound of an aborted baby. With his change from abortion activist to pro-life advocate, his atheist ears were also opened. He heard the truths of God, he met Jesus, he repented of his sins, and Jesus saved him.
In 1996, Dr. Nathanson wrote his autobiography, telling of his previous work as an abortion provider and abortion rights activist, including the abortion of his own child in the 1960s when his girlfriend became pregnant. He wrote frankly about his role: “I am one of those who helped usher in this barbaric age.” Nathanson also explained about what he called the “vector theory of life” that states from the moment of conception there exists “a self-directed force of life that, if not interrupted, will lead to the birth of a human baby.”
Dr. Nathanson titled the book, Hand of God, and wrote about finding his way to Jesus:
“The New Testament God was a loving, forgiving, incomparably cosseting figure in whom I would seek, and ultimately find, the forgiveness I have pursued so hopelessly, for so long.”
Dr. Nathanson spent the rest of his life speaking against his own pro-abortion teachings, and is often quoted as saying that abortion is “the most atrocious holocaust in the history of the United States.” Bernard Nathanson died of cancer in New York on February 21, 2011, at the age of 84.
Hear the Truth
Listen to an interview with the woman who visited Dr. Nathanson shortly before his death. With his permission, and because of his desire to make Americans aware of the lies and deception of the abortion industry, she tells his story in great detail. A 26-minute interview, but worth every minute. You will be shocked. Get informed now.
Life Begins at Conception
One of my favorite verses for validating that life begins at conception is:
Prov 23:22 Listen to your father who begot you, And do not despise your mother when she is old.
“Begot” (or begat) is the Hebrew word “yalad.” It means “to bear young” and when it is used in the context of parent and child in the Bible it is speaking of a biological father begetting a child, i.e. giving life to a child.
So this raises the question, when does a biological father “give life” to the child. It’s not at delivery because it’s the mother who brings the child into this world. The biological father gives life to a child at conception when the father’s sperm meets the mother’s egg and life is born (conceived) in the womb. Technically, we are all nine months old when we are born into this world.
More Bible Verses that Speak of the Sanctity of Life
Gen 1:26-27 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness…” So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Exo 20:13 You shall not murder.
Lev 18:21 …you shall not let any of your descendants pass through the fire to Molech…
Job 12:10 In whose hand is the life of every living thing, And the breath of all mankind? [Answer: God’s hands]
Job 31:15 Did not He who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same One fashion us in the womb?
Isa 44:2 Thus says the LORD who made you And formed you from the womb, who will help you…
Jer 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you…
Luke 1:41 And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb…
Luke 1:44 …as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
1 Cor 3:16-17 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED