We read from Paul’s letter to the church at Ephesus regarding “The Husband,”
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her” (Ephesians 5:25 – NASB)
With so much domestic abuse by “husbands” in this day in which you and I live, with so much fighting and bickering between married couples, this command of God to “husbands” needs to ring out loud and clear to the godly man, the man who is in Christ.
If we “husbands” profess to be Christians then we need to hear this word and be doers of this word (James 1:22). God calls us to “love (our) wives.” This word for “love” here is the Greek word we probably are all familiar with; agapao. This word speaks of a “direction of the will and finding one’s joy in carrying out the act.” It is the same word used in John 3:16: “For God so loved . . . .”
God so loved the world that He acted out His will for it, sacrificing self to send His one and only Son to die for our sins. Likewise, “The Husband” is to so act toward his wife, “loving” her “just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her.” We know how “Christ” has “loved” His “church,” so it shouldn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how a “husband” is called to “love” his wife.
“The Husband” is to be willing to give his life for his wife, and that doesn’t just mean dying for her. Note what Paul says further about Christ’s intentions in “loving” His “church,”
“that He might sanctify her (the church) , having cleansed her (the church) , by the washing of the water with the word” (Ephesians 5:26 – NASB)
“The Husband” is to be “loving” his wife with the desire to “sanctify her,” or, set her apart “by the washing of the water with the word.” Just as “Christ” desires that His “church” be set apart by the word (John 17:17) so “The Husband’s” desire should also be for his wife. He should strive to read and study the Word of God so that he can teach it to his wife, helping her to be “cleansed” by it.
The intent of this . . .
“that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless.” (Ephesians 5:27 – NASB)
So you see the clear intent of “Christ” for His “church.” He desires to “present . . . her . . . having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless.” And so . . . the husband’s calling:
“love your wives just as Christ loved the church”
desire and strive to “sanctify her . . . by the washing of the water of the word”
the intent being to “present . . . her . . . having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing”
“that she should be holy and blameless”
A lofty goal for “The Husband,” but one God commands him to constantly strive to fulfill toward his wife.
Have a good day . . . and if you are a husband then know your calling in regards to the woman you are married to, and diligently seek to fulfill it.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas