“In the hand of the LORD is a cup full of red wine mixed with spices! He pours it out, and all the wicked of the earth drink it down to its very dregs!” Psalm 75:8
There has been only One who has ever drunk this cup down to its very dregs!
Cain has been drinking it for 5,000 years and finds that his punishment greater than he can bear–but has not come to the dregs.
Judas had been drinking it for almost 2000 years, often crying out with a groan that shakes Hell, “Oh, that I had never been born! Oh, that I had never seen or heard of the Lord Jesus Christ!” But he has not reached the dregs.
The fallen angels have not come near the dregs!
The only One who has taken, tasted, drunk, and wrung out the bitterest of the bitter dregs–has been the Judge Himself, the Lord Jesus!
You know how often, when on earth, He spoke of it.
“Are you able to drink the cup that I shall drink of?” (Matthew 20:22).
“The cup which My Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?” (John 18:11).
The universe saw Him with it at His lips. It was our cup of trembling–the cup in which the wrath due to His people was mixed. What wrath, what woe!
A few drops made Him cry, “Now is my soul deeply troubled!”
In the garden, the sight of it wrung out the strange, mysterious words, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death!”
Though God-man, He staggered at what He saw, and went on trembling.
Jesus Drank the Cup
The next day, on Calvary, He drank it all! I suppose the three hours of darkness may have been the time when He was drinking it down to the very dregs; for then arose from His broken heart, the wail which so appealed to the heart of the Father, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me!” As Jesus drank the last drop and cried out, “It is finished!” we may believe that the holy angels felt an inconceivable relief–and even the Father Himself! So tremendous was the wrath and curse!–the wrath and curse due to our sin!
Jesus Drank the Cup for Us
Jesus drank that cup as the substitute for His innumerable people, who were given to Him by the Father. And thereby, He freed them from ever tasting even one drop of that fierce wrath, that “cup of red wine, mixed with spices,” with its dregs–its unknown terrors!
Death and the curse were in our cup,
O Christ, ’twas full for Thee!
But Thou hast drained the last dark drop,
‘Tis empty now for me!
Once it was mine, that cup of wrath,
And Jesus drank it dry!
About Andrew Bonar
Andrew Alexander Bonar (1810-1892) was a minister of the Free Church of Scotland, a contemporary and acquaintance of Robert Murray M’cheyne, and youngest brother of Horatius Bonar (best known for his hymn writing).
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED