DATE: ca. 965 B.C.
The Hebrew title for this verse comes from verse 1. It is The Song of Songs, which means “the most superlative, or best, of songs.” The English title, also from verse 1, is The Song of Solomon, which designates the author. Another title, the Canticles, meaning simply “songs,” is derived from the Latin.
Verse 1 asserts that Solomon wrote this song (among the 1,005 that he wrote, 1 Kings 4:32), although it’s noted that the verse may also be translated, “The Song of Songs, which is about or concerning Solomon.” However, this is not a compelling reason to think Solomon was not the author. The contents of the book, and what is known about the abilities and wisdom of Solomon, support attributing authorship to Solomon.
Some have tried to regard this book as allegorical. They suggest that fictional characters are used to teach about God’s love for His people. This nonhistorical view is contrary to all principles of normal interpretation and must be rejected.
The book should be read and understood as a historical record of the romance between Solomon and a Shulamite woman. The story in the book portray the joys of love in courtship and the rightful place of physical love, within marriage only, is clearly established and honored. While Solomon is not a good example of marital devotion (he had many wives and concubines, 140 at this time, 6:8, and many more later, 1 Kings 11:3), the book records a virtuous love relationship and perhaps the only pure romance he had.
Song of Songs is a lyric poem in dialogue form. It tells of the king who comes in disguise to the family vineyard of a Shulamite woman, wins her heart, and ultimately makes her his bride.
OUTLINE OF THE SONG OF SONGS
I. Title, 1:1
II. The Courtship, 1:2-3:5
A. The Shulamite to Herself, 1:2-4a
B. The Daughters of Jerusalem to the King, 1:4b
C. The Shulamite, 1:5-7
D. The Daughters of Jerusalem, 1:8
E. Solomon to the Shulamite, 1:9-10
F. Daughters of Jerusalem to the Shulamite, 1:11
G. The Shulamite, 1:12-14
H. Solomon to the Shulamite, 1:15
I. The Shulamite to Solomon, 1:16-2:1
J. Solomon to the Shulamite, 2:2
K. The Shulamite to Solomon, 2:3-6
L. Solomon to the Daughters of Jerusalem, 2:7
M. The Shulamite to Herself, 2:8-13
N. Solomon to the Shulamite, 2:14
O. A Chorus, 2:15
P. The Shulamite to Herself, 2:16-3:4
Q. Husband to Daughters of Jerusalem, 3:5
III. The Procession for the Marriage, 3:6-11
IV. The Consummation of the Marriage, 4:1-5:1
A. Solomon to His Bride, 4:1-15
B. The Bride to Solomon, 4:16
C. Solomon to His Bride, 5:1a
D. God to the Couple, 5:1b
V. The Honeymoon Is Over, 5:2-6:13
A. Wife to Daughters of Jerusalem: The Wife Rebuffs Her Husband, 5:2-8
B. Daughters of Jerusalem to the Wife: A Reminder About Her Husband, 5:9
C. Wife to the Daughters of Jerusalem: She Remembers How Fine He Is, 5:10-16
D. Daughters of Jerusalem to Wife, 6:1
E. Wife to Daughters of Jerusalem, 6:2-3
F. Husband to Wife, 6:4-10
G. Wife to Herself, 6:11-12
H. Daughters of Jerusalem to Wife, 6:13a
I. King to Daughters of Jerusalem, 6:13b
VI. The Marriage Deepens, 7:1-8:4
A. Husband to Wife, 7:1-9a
B. Wife to Husband, 7:9b-10
C. Wife to Husband (in the Morning), 7:11-8:3
D. Husband to Daughters of Jerusalem, 8:4
VII. The Maturity of Love, 8:5-14
A. The Question, 8:5a
B. Solomon’s Reminiscence, 8:5b
C. The Wife to Her Husband, 8:6-7
D. The Brothers of the Shulammite, 8:8-9
E. The Wife to Everyone, 8:10-12
F. The Husband to His Wife, 8:13
G. The Wife to Her Husband, 8:14
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store