DATE: ca. 965 B.C.
The Hebrew title for this verse comes from verse 1. It is The Song of Songs, which means “the most superlative, or best, of songs.” The English title, also from verse 1, is The Song of Solomon, which designates the author. Another title, the Canticles, meaning simply “songs,” is derived from the Latin.
Verse 1 asserts that Solomon wrote this song (among the 1,005 that he wrote, 1 Kings 4:32), although it’s noted that the verse may also be translated, “The Song of Songs, which is about or concerning Solomon.” However, this is not a compelling reason to think Solomon was not the author. The contents of the book, and what is known about the abilities and wisdom of Solomon, support attributing authorship to Solomon.
Some have tried to regard this book as allegorical. They suggest that fictional characters are used to teach about God’s love for His people. This nonhistorical view is contrary to all principles of normal interpretation and must be rejected.
The book should be read and understood as a historical record of the romance between Solomon and a Shulamite woman. The story in the book portray the joys of love in courtship and the rightful place of physical love, within marriage only, is clearly established and honored. While Solomon is not a good example of marital devotion (he had many wives and concubines, 140 at this time, 6:8, and many more later, 1 Kings 11:3), the book records a virtuous love relationship and perhaps the only pure romance he had.
Song of Songs is a lyric poem in dialogue form. It tells of the king who comes in disguise to the family vineyard of a Shulamite woman, wins her heart, and ultimately makes her his bride.
OUTLINE OF THE SONG OF SONGS
I. Title, 1:1
II. The Courtship, 1:2-3:5
A. The Shulamite to Herself, 1:2-4a
B. The Daughters of Jerusalem to the King, 1:4b
C. The Shulamite, 1:5-7
D. The Daughters of Jerusalem, 1:8
E. Solomon to the Shulamite, 1:9-10
F. Daughters of Jerusalem to the Shulamite, 1:11
G. The Shulamite, 1:12-14
H. Solomon to the Shulamite, 1:15
I. The Shulamite to Solomon, 1:16-2:1
J. Solomon to the Shulamite, 2:2
K. The Shulamite to Solomon, 2:3-6
L. Solomon to the Daughters of Jerusalem, 2:7
M. The Shulamite to Herself, 2:8-13
N. Solomon to the Shulamite, 2:14
O. A Chorus, 2:15
P. The Shulamite to Herself, 2:16-3:4
Q. Husband to Daughters of Jerusalem, 3:5
III. The Procession for the Marriage, 3:6-11
IV. The Consummation of the Marriage, 4:1-5:1
A. Solomon to His Bride, 4:1-15
B. The Bride to Solomon, 4:16
C. Solomon to His Bride, 5:1a
D. God to the Couple, 5:1b
V. The Honeymoon Is Over, 5:2-6:13
A. Wife to Daughters of Jerusalem: The Wife Rebuffs Her Husband, 5:2-8
B. Daughters of Jerusalem to the Wife: A Reminder About Her Husband, 5:9
C. Wife to the Daughters of Jerusalem: She Remembers How Fine He Is, 5:10-16
D. Daughters of Jerusalem to Wife, 6:1
E. Wife to Daughters of Jerusalem, 6:2-3
F. Husband to Wife, 6:4-10
G. Wife to Herself, 6:11-12
H. Daughters of Jerusalem to Wife, 6:13a
I. King to Daughters of Jerusalem, 6:13b
VI. The Marriage Deepens, 7:1-8:4
A. Husband to Wife, 7:1-9a
B. Wife to Husband, 7:9b-10
C. Wife to Husband (in the Morning), 7:11-8:3
D. Husband to Daughters of Jerusalem, 8:4
VII. The Maturity of Love, 8:5-14
A. The Question, 8:5a
B. Solomon’s Reminiscence, 8:5b
C. The Wife to Her Husband, 8:6-7
D. The Brothers of the Shulammite, 8:8-9
E. The Wife to Everyone, 8:10-12
F. The Husband to His Wife, 8:13
G. The Wife to Her Husband, 8:14
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas