“Your Maker is your husband, the LORD of hosts is His name.” Isaiah 54:5
“The ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with singing, with everlasting joy on their heads.” Isaiah 35:10
When Cyrus took the king of Armenia and his son Tigranes, with their wives and children, prisoners, and upon their humble submission, beyond all hope, gave them their liberty and their lives, on their return home, when they were commending Cyrus, some for his person, some for his power, some for his clemency, Tigranes asked his wife, “What do you think of Cyrus; is he not a lovely man, of a majestic presence?”
“Truly,” said she, “I know not what manner of man he is; I never looked on him.”
“Why,” said he, “where were your eyes all the while; upon whom did you look?”
“I fixed my eyes,” said she, “all the while upon him,” (meaning her husband), “who, in my hearing, offered to Cyrus to lay down his life for my ransom.”
Thus, if any question the devout soul, once indeed captivated by the world — but new enamored with Christ her heavenly Bridegroom, whether she is not charmed with the riches, pleasures, and gaieties of the world, her answer is that her eyes and her heart are now fixed on a nobler object, even on Him who not only made an offer, like Tigranes, to die in her stead — but actually laid down His life to ransom her. As her dear Bridegroom is now in Heaven, her looks are after Him, and she can esteem nothing on earth in comparison with Him. And, as He has promised to come again, she is looking, longing, and preparing for His coming.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store