AUTHOR: Unknown (perhaps Job himself, Elihu, Moses, or Solomon)
DATE: Uncertain. Thought to be the oldest book. Perhaps 1800 BC.
While we do not know who wrote this book, it is titled for the central character, Job, who is confirmed as a historical person (Ezek. 14:14, 20; James 5:11). Job’s name means “one who is persecuted.”
The book wrestles with the age-old questions: Why are the righteous persecuted? If God is a God of love and mercy, why doesn’t He stop suffering? The book of Job presents a theodicy–a vindication of divine goodness and providence in view of the existence of evil. The book clearly teaches the sovereignty of God and the need for man to acknowledge God’s sovereignty. It also reveals the spiritual warfare that is ongoing, but unseen by us. It gives important insights into the work of Satan (1:6-2:10).
In his suffering, Job is visited by three friends who gave essentially the same answer: All suffering is due to sin. When another arrived, Elihu, he declared that suffering is often the means of purifying the righteous, and that’s exactly what God does in Job. Job never received the explanation about why such calamity had come upon him. With the answers, Job came to a place of trusting only in God, knowing that He is in control of all things and His purpose and plan are just and perfect. The best-known verses in the book are 19:25-26.
OUTLINE OF JOB
I. The Disasters of Job, 1:1-2:13
A. Job’s Circumstances, 1:1-5
B. Job’s Calamities, 1:6-2:10
1. Satan’s proposal, 1:6-11
2. God’s permission, 1:12-22
3. Satan’s persistence, 2:1-6
4. Job’s patience, 2:7-10
C. Job’s Comforters, 2:11-13
II. The Dialogues with Job, 3:1-42:6
A. Job’s Lament, Job 3:1-26
B. Eliphaz’s First Speech, 4:1-5:27
C. Job’s Reply to Eliphaz, 6:1-7:21
D. Bildad’s First Speech, 8:1-22
E. Job’s Reply to Bildad, 9:1-10:22
F. Zophar’s First Speech, 11:1-20
G. Job’s Reply to Zophar, 12:1-14:22
H. Eliphaz’s Second Speech, 15:1-35
I. Job’s Second Reply to Eliphaz, 16:1-17:16
J. Bildad’s Second Speech, 18:1-21
K. Job’s Second Reply to Bildad, 19:1-29
L. Zophar’s Second Speech, 20:1-29
M. Job’s Second Reply to Zophar, 21:1-34
N. Eliphaz’s Third Speech, 22:1-30
O. Job’s Third Reply to Eliphaz, 23:1-24:25
P. Bildad’s Third Speech, 25:1-6
Q. Job’s Third Reply to Bildad, 26:1-14
R. Job’s Last Reply to His Friends, 27:1-31:40
1. A protestation of innocence, 27:1-23
2. A pronouncement concerning wisdom, 28:1-28
3. A panorama of his life, 29:1-31:40
S. Elihu’s Speeches, 32:1-37:24
1. His first speech, 32:1-33:33
2. His second speech, 34:1-37
3. His third speech, 35:1-16
4. His fourth speech, 36:1-37:24
T. God’s Speeches, 38:1-42:6
1. God’s first speech: His knowledge, 38:1-40:2
2. Job’s wise silence, 40:3-5
3. God’s second speech: His power, 40:6-41:34
4. Job’s repentance, 42:1-6
III. The Deliverance of Job, 42:7-17
A. In Relation to His Friends, 42:7-9
B. In Relation to His Family, 42:10-17
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.