AUTHOR: Unknown (perhaps Job himself, Elihu, Moses, or Solomon)
DATE: Uncertain. Thought to be the oldest book.
While we do not know who wrote this book, it is titled for the central character, Job, who is confirmed as a historical person (Ezek. 14:14, 20; James 5:11). Job’s name means “one who is persecuted.”
The book wrestles with the age-old questions: Why are the righteous persecuted? If God is a God of love and mercy, why doesn’t He stop suffering? The book of Job presents a theodicy–a vindication of divine goodness and providence in view of the existence of evil. The book clearly teaches the sovereignty of God and the need for man to acknowledge God’s sovereignty. It also reveals the spiritual warfare that is ongoing, but unseen by us. It gives important insights into the work of Satan (1:6-2:10).
In his suffering, Job is visited by three friends who gave essentially the same answer: All suffering is due to sin. When another arrived, Elihu, he declared that suffering is often the means of purifying the righteous, and that’s exactly what God does in Job. Job never received the explanation about why such calamity had come upon him. With the answers, Job came to a place of trusting only in God, knowing that He is in control of all things and His purpose and plan are just and perfect. The best-known verses in the book are 19:25-26.
OUTLINE OF JOB
I. The Disasters of Job, 1:1-2:13
A. Job’s Circumstances, 1:1-5
B. Job’s Calamities, 1:6-2:10
1. Satan’s proposal, 1:6-11
2. God’s permission, 1:12-22
3. Satan’s persistence, 2:1-6
4. Job’s patience, 2:7-10
C. Job’s Comforters, 2:11-13
II. The Dialogues with Job, 3:1-42:6
A. Job’s Lament, Job 3:1-26
B. Eliphaz’s First Speech, 4:1-5:27
C. Job’s Reply to Eliphaz, 6:1-7:21
D. Bildad’s First Speech, 8:1-22
E. Job’s Reply to Bildad, 9:1-10:22
F. Zophar’s First Speech, 11:1-20
G. Job’s Reply to Zophar, 12:1-14:22
H. Eliphaz’s Second Speech, 15:1-35
I. Job’s Second Reply to Eliphaz, 16:1-17:16
J. Bildad’s Second Speech, 18:1-21
K. Job’s Second Reply to Bildad, 19:1-29
L. Zophar’s Second Speech, 20:1-29
M. Job’s Second Reply to Zophar, 21:1-34
N. Eliphaz’s Third Speech, 22:1-30
O. Job’s Third Reply to Eliphaz, 23:1-24:25
P. Bildad’s Third Speech, 25:1-6
Q. Job’s Third Reply to Bildad, 26:1-14
R. Job’s Last Reply to His Friends, 27:1-31:40
1. A protestation of innocence, 27:1-23
2. A pronouncement concerning wisdom, 28:1-28
3. A panorama of his life, 29:1-31:40
S. Elihu’s Speeches, 32:1-37:24
1. His first speech, 32:1-33:33
2. His second speech, 34:1-37
3. His third speech, 35:1-16
4. His fourth speech, 36:1-37:24
T. God’s Speeches, 38:1-42:6
1. God’s first speech: His knowledge, 38:1-40:2
2. Job’s wise silence, 40:3-5
3. God’s second speech: His power, 40:6-41:34
4. Job’s repentance, 42:1-6
III. The Deliverance of Job, 42:7-17
A. In Relation to His Friends, 42:7-9
B. In Relation to His Family, 42:10-17
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED