AUTHOR: Unknown (perhaps Job himself, Elihu, Moses, or Solomon)
DATE: Uncertain. Thought to be the oldest book. Perhaps 1800 BC.
While we do not know who wrote this book, it is titled for the central character, Job, who is confirmed as a historical person (Ezek. 14:14, 20; James 5:11). Job’s name means “one who is persecuted.”
The book wrestles with the age-old questions: Why are the righteous persecuted? If God is a God of love and mercy, why doesn’t He stop suffering? The book of Job presents a theodicy–a vindication of divine goodness and providence in view of the existence of evil. The book clearly teaches the sovereignty of God and the need for man to acknowledge God’s sovereignty. It also reveals the spiritual warfare that is ongoing, but unseen by us. It gives important insights into the work of Satan (1:6-2:10).
In his suffering, Job is visited by three friends who gave essentially the same answer: All suffering is due to sin. When another arrived, Elihu, he declared that suffering is often the means of purifying the righteous, and that’s exactly what God does in Job. Job never received the explanation about why such calamity had come upon him. With the answers, Job came to a place of trusting only in God, knowing that He is in control of all things and His purpose and plan are just and perfect. The best-known verses in the book are 19:25-26.
OUTLINE OF JOB
I. The Disasters of Job, 1:1-2:13
A. Job’s Circumstances, 1:1-5
B. Job’s Calamities, 1:6-2:10
1. Satan’s proposal, 1:6-11
2. God’s permission, 1:12-22
3. Satan’s persistence, 2:1-6
4. Job’s patience, 2:7-10
C. Job’s Comforters, 2:11-13
II. The Dialogues with Job, 3:1-42:6
A. Job’s Lament, Job 3:1-26
B. Eliphaz’s First Speech, 4:1-5:27
C. Job’s Reply to Eliphaz, 6:1-7:21
D. Bildad’s First Speech, 8:1-22
E. Job’s Reply to Bildad, 9:1-10:22
F. Zophar’s First Speech, 11:1-20
G. Job’s Reply to Zophar, 12:1-14:22
H. Eliphaz’s Second Speech, 15:1-35
I. Job’s Second Reply to Eliphaz, 16:1-17:16
J. Bildad’s Second Speech, 18:1-21
K. Job’s Second Reply to Bildad, 19:1-29
L. Zophar’s Second Speech, 20:1-29
M. Job’s Second Reply to Zophar, 21:1-34
N. Eliphaz’s Third Speech, 22:1-30
O. Job’s Third Reply to Eliphaz, 23:1-24:25
P. Bildad’s Third Speech, 25:1-6
Q. Job’s Third Reply to Bildad, 26:1-14
R. Job’s Last Reply to His Friends, 27:1-31:40
1. A protestation of innocence, 27:1-23
2. A pronouncement concerning wisdom, 28:1-28
3. A panorama of his life, 29:1-31:40
S. Elihu’s Speeches, 32:1-37:24
1. His first speech, 32:1-33:33
2. His second speech, 34:1-37
3. His third speech, 35:1-16
4. His fourth speech, 36:1-37:24
T. God’s Speeches, 38:1-42:6
1. God’s first speech: His knowledge, 38:1-40:2
2. Job’s wise silence, 40:3-5
3. God’s second speech: His power, 40:6-41:34
4. Job’s repentance, 42:1-6
III. The Deliverance of Job, 42:7-17
A. In Relation to His Friends, 42:7-9
B. In Relation to His Family, 42:10-17
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge