It’s hard for born-again Christians to consider the evil that lurks in the devil’s mind and what motivates his evil works.
God created Satan to live in His presence as part of the angelic realm, to love and serve Him. But when God created man in His image, higher than the angelic realm, Satan rebelled against God and was cast out of Heaven.
What must that have been like?
Cast out of glory, and into a world created for God’s glory with human beings created in God’s image, Satan’s evil desire was to take control from God and to possess and destroy all that belonged to God.
He’s Still Doing It Today
Throughout history, we’ve seen Satan’s devilish works. As Peter has warned, he seeks to devour mankind (1 Pet 5:8). And from the beginning of time when he deceived Eve (Gen 3), to the end of time when he will seek to deceive the whole world (Rev 12:9), his purpose is to destroy man.
If I Were the Devil by Paul Harvey (1918-2009)
From 1951 to 2008, radio broadcaster Paul Harvey reached as many as 24 million people per week. He was deemed the “most listened-to man” in radio broadcasting, famous for his “rest of the story” radio shows.
On a radio show in 1965, Harvey presented the narrative “If I Were the Devil.” It’s known that Paul Harvey was a Christian, so the purpose of the broadcast was to bring a revelation of the devil’s work in the mid-1960s. That was a time of great social and political unrest and increasing sin due to compromising ethics, morals, and values. It was also the decade when prayer in school became prohibited (1962), the hippie culture with sex, drugs, and rock and roll arose, and young people increasingly left the church.
So Harvey used his show to expound on what he (or anyone) might do if he were the devil. The point was to highlight how Satan thinks and works, which is as true today as in the 1960s. The only difference is that the devil’s work has become more exposed in our culture but is sadly unseen by more people.
Listen now to Paul Harvey’s “If I Were the Devil.”
How Should We Think About How Satan Thinks?
We should not fear. We must remember that our directives come from the Lord and His apostles, who taught His truths. We are to be witnesses worldwide, telling people about the saving and transforming grace of Jesus (Mat 28:19, Acts 1:8).
- We can do so with confidence, knowing that “He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world” (1 John 4:4)
- We can do so with boldness, knowing that we can “put on the whole armor of God” and “be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” (Eph 6:11)
- We can do so empowered by the Holy Spirit, as the apostles and Paul were.
“you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” — Jesus, Acts 1:8
And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. (Eph 6:19-20)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED