DATE: 592-570 B.C.
From a priestly family (Eze 1:3), Ezekiel’s name means “God strengthens.” He spent his early years in Jerusalem until he was deported with others to Babylon in 597 B.C. In Babylon, Ezekiel settled in his own house, in a village near Nippur on the river Chebar (Eze 3:15, 24). Ezekiel prophesied for at least 22 years (Eze 1:2, Eze 29:17-21). His wife died in 587 (Eze 24:16-18).
Ezekiel prophesied to the exiles in Babylon at the same time that of Jeremiah was prophesying to the Jews who remained in Jerusalem. This was during the early years of the prophetic ministry of Daniel. For the important events of that period see Jeremiah Overview and Outline.
Ezekiel’s ministry was to remind the exiles that their sins had brought God’s judgment and to assure them of God’s future blessing and His faithfulness to keep His covenant. Chapters 1-24 were written before the fall of Jerusalem prophesying of the coming judgment and chapters 33-48 contain prophecies of the still future restoration of Israel in the millennial kingdom.
Important Messianic sections in the book are Eze 17:22-24; Eze 21:26-27; Eze 34:23-24. The overthrow of Gog is described in chapters 38-39, and the Millennial Temple and worship in chapters 40-48. Some well-known passages include Eze 1:4-28; Eze 3:16-21; Eze 11:17-20; Eze 14:14; Eze 28:11-19; Eze 36:24-28; Eze 37:1-28.
OUTLINE OF EZEKIEL
I. Ezekiel’s Call and Commissioning, 1:1-3:27
A. Ezekiel’s Circumstances, 1:1-3
B. Ezekiel’s Vision of God, 1:4-28
1. The four living creatures and the chariot, 1:4-14
2. The four wheels, 1:15-21
3. The radiant expanse, 1:22-28
C. Ezekiel’s Call, 2:1-10
D. Ezekiel’s Commissioning, 3:1-27
II. Prophecies Against Judah and Jerusalem, 4:1-24:27
A. Prophecies Through Symbols, 4:1-5:17
1. A brick: the siege of Jerusalem, 4:1-3
2. A posture: the duration of the Exile, 4:4-8
3. Bread: scarcity, 4:9-17
4. Shaving: destruction of the people of Jerusalem, 5:1-17
B. Prophecies Through Sermons, 6:1-7:27
1. The cause of coming judgment: idolatry, 6:1-14
2. The character of coming judgment: severe, 7:1-27
C. Prophecies Through Visions, 8:1-11:25
1. A vision of wickedness in the Temple, 8:1-18
2. A vision of the slaying of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, 9:1-11
3. A vision of the burning of Jerusalem, 10:1-22
4. A vision of wicked princes and departed glory, 11:1-25
D. The Certainty and Causes of Judgment Through Signs, Messages, and Parables, 12:1-24:27
1. The sign of the prophet’s baggage, 12:1-16
2. The sign of trembling, 12:17-28
3. The message against false prophets and prophetesses, 13:1-23
4. The message against the idolatrous elders, 14:1-23
5. The parable of the fruitless vine, 15:1-8
6. The parable of the adulterous woman, 16:1-63
a. Her youth, 16:1-14
b. Her sins, 16:15-34
c. Her condemnation, 16:35-52
d. Her restoration, 16:53-63
7. The parable of the two eagles, 17:1-24
8. The proverb of the sour grapes repudiated, Ezek 18:1-32
9. The lamentation for the princes of Israel, Ezek 19:1-14
10. The message concerning Israel’s unfaithfulness, 20:1-31
11. The promise of future restoration, 20:32-44
12. The forest fire, 20:45-49
13. The sword, 21:1-32
14. The smelting furnace of judgment, 22:1-31
a. The catalog of sins, 22:1-12
b. The certainty of judgment, 22:13-22
c. The classes of sinners, 22:23-31
15. The parable of the two sisters, 23:1-49
a. Their identification, 23:1-4
b. Their infidelities, 23:5-21
c. Their punishment, 23:22-49
16. The parable of the boiling pot, 24:1-14
17. The sign of the death of Ezekiel’s wife, 24:15-2
III. Prophecies Against Foreign Nations, 25:1-32:32
A. Judgment on Ammon, 25:1-7
B. Judgment on Moab, 25:8-11
C. Judgment on Edom, 25:12-14
D. Judgment on Philistia, 25:15-17
E. Judgment on Tyre, 26:1-28:19
1. The overthrow of Tyre, 26:1-21
2. The lamentation over Tyre, Ezek 27:1-36
3. The fall of the leader of Tyre, 28:1-10
4. The lamentation over the king of Tyre, Ezek 28:11-19
F. Judgment on Sidon, 28:20-26
G. Judgment on Egypt, 29:1-32:32
1. The certainty of judgment, 29:1-21
2. The description of judgment, 30:1-26
3. The comparison between Assyria and Egypt, 31:1-18
4. The lamentation over Egypt, Ezek 32:1-32
IV. Prophecies of Israel’s Restoration, 33:1-39:29
A. Ezekiel’s Appointment as a Watchman, 33:1-33
B. Israel’s Shepherds, 34:1-31
1. False shepherds, 34:1-10
2. The true Shepherd, 34:11-31
C. The Rebirth of the Nation, 35:1-36:38
1. The destruction of Edom, 35:1-15
2. The new covenant with Israel, 36:1-38
D. The Resuscitation of the Nation, 37:1-14
E. The Reuniting of the Nation, 37:15-28
F. The Victory of the Nation over Gog and Magog, 38:1-39:29
1. The invasion by Gog, 38:1-16
2. The victory over Gog, 38:17-39:29
V. Prophecies Concerning Israel in the Millennial Kingdom, 40:1-48:35
A. A New Temple, 40:1-43:27
1. Introduction, 40:1-4
2. The outer court and its three gates, 40:5-27
3. The inner court and its three gates, 40:28-47
4. The Temple itself, 40:48-41:26
5. The chambers in the inner court, 42:1-20
6. The return of the glory of the Lord, 43:1-12
7. The altar of burnt offering, 43:13-27
B. A New Service of Worship, 44:1-46:24
1. Those who may minister, 44:1-31
2. Support for those who minister, 45:1-17
3. Offerings, 45:18-46:24
a. Offerings at the feasts, 45:18-25
b. Offerings on Sabbaths, new moons, and daily sacrifices, 46:1-15
c. Regulations for the prince, 46:16-18
d. Places for preparing the offerings, 46:19-24
C. A New Holy Land, 47:1-48:35
1. The river giving life to the land, 47:1-12
2. The boundaries of the land, 47:13-23
3. The division of the land, 48:1-35
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
At Reasons for Hope* Jesus, we are committed to equipping, encouraging, and empowering Christians to know Jesus better, love Him more, and share their faith. We also reach the lost through our Salvation Page.
With your support, we can continue to provide valuable resources and engaging content. Please join us in our mission by donating today. Your generous contribution helps us expand our outreach of sharing biblical truths and hope in Jesus. Thank you for your kindness and for being an integral part of our mission.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED