DATE: 67 or 68 AD
Paul had put Timothy in charge at Ephesus and gone to Macedonia (northern Greece) and from there had written 1 Timothy (1 Tim. 1:3). He then visited Crete and put Titus in charge of the churches there. He then went to Nicopolis in Achaia (southern Greece, Titus 3:12). When he visited Troas (2 Tim. 4:13), he was arrested, taken to Rome, and imprisoned under Nero. From prison, alone and cold (2 Tim 4:10-12), he wrote this letter. Knowing that his death was near (2 Tim 1:8, 16; 4:6-8), he wrote to encourage his young son in the faith to be “a good soldier of Christ Jesus” (2 Tim 2:3). Paul also addressed apostasy of the last days (2 Tim 3:1-9; cf. 1 Tim. 4:1-3), the inspiration of the Scriptures (2 Tim 3:16), and the crown of righteousness (2 Tim 4:8). It’s believed (from tradition and historical information) that soon after writing this letter, Paul was beheaded with a sword near Rome, possibly on June 29, 67. The date is open to dispute, and Paul’s death has been placed between 62 and 67. We will likely never know for certain the accurate date, but we do know thatPaul was martyred remaining steadfast in his faith.
OUTLINE OF 2 Timothy
I. The Salutation, 1:1-2
II. The Expression of Thanks for Timothy, 1:3-7
III. The Call of a Soldier of Christ, 1:8-18
A. A Call to Courage, 1:8-12
B. A Call to Faithfulness, 1:13-18
IV. The Character of a Soldier of Christ, 2:1-26
A. He Is Strong, 2:1-2
B. He Is Single-minded, 2:3-4
C. He Is Strict, 2:5-10
D. He Is Secure, 2:11-13
E. He Is Sound of Faith, 2:14-19
F. He Is Sanctified, 2:20-23
G. He Is a Servant, 2:24-26
V. The Caution for a Soldier of Christ, 3:1-17
A. The Peril of Apostasy, 3:1-9
B. The Protection from Apostasy, 3:10-17
VI. The Charge to a Soldier of Christ, 4:1-5
VII. The Comfort of a Soldier of Christ, 4:6-18
A. A Good Finish to Life, 4:6-7
B. A Good Future After Life, 4:8
C. Good Friends in Life, 4:9-18
VIII. Concluding Greetings, 4:19-22
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.