DATE: 67 or 68 AD
Paul had put Timothy in charge at Ephesus and gone to Macedonia (northern Greece) and from there had written 1 Timothy (1 Tim. 1:3). He then visited Crete and put Titus in charge of the churches there. He then went to Nicopolis in Achaia (southern Greece, Titus 3:12). When he visited Troas (2 Tim. 4:13), he was arrested, taken to Rome, and imprisoned under Nero. From prison, alone and cold (2 Tim 4:10-12), he wrote this letter. Knowing that his death was near (2 Tim 1:8, 16; 4:6-8), he wrote to encourage his young son in the faith to be “a good soldier of Christ Jesus” (2 Tim 2:3). Paul also addressed apostasy of the last days (2 Tim 3:1-9; cf. 1 Tim. 4:1-3), the inspiration of the Scriptures (2 Tim 3:16), and the crown of righteousness (2 Tim 4:8). It’s believed (from tradition and historical information) that soon after writing this letter, Paul was beheaded with a sword near Rome, possibly on June 29, 67. The date is open to dispute, and Paul’s death has been placed between 62 and 67. We will likely never know for certain the accurate date, but we do know thatPaul was martyred remaining steadfast in his faith.
OUTLINE OF 2 Timothy
I. The Salutation, 1:1-2
II. The Expression of Thanks for Timothy, 1:3-7
III. The Call of a Soldier of Christ, 1:8-18
A. A Call to Courage, 1:8-12
B. A Call to Faithfulness, 1:13-18
IV. The Character of a Soldier of Christ, 2:1-26
A. He Is Strong, 2:1-2
B. He Is Single-minded, 2:3-4
C. He Is Strict, 2:5-10
D. He Is Secure, 2:11-13
E. He Is Sound of Faith, 2:14-19
F. He Is Sanctified, 2:20-23
G. He Is a Servant, 2:24-26
V. The Caution for a Soldier of Christ, 3:1-17
A. The Peril of Apostasy, 3:1-9
B. The Protection from Apostasy, 3:10-17
VI. The Charge to a Soldier of Christ, 4:1-5
VII. The Comfort of a Soldier of Christ, 4:6-18
A. A Good Finish to Life, 4:6-7
B. A Good Future After Life, 4:8
C. Good Friends in Life, 4:9-18
VIII. Concluding Greetings, 4:19-22
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge