DATE: 450-425 B.C.
The books of 1 and 2 Chronicles were originally one book until 180 B.C. The Hebrew title for the books means “the words (affairs) of the days” and together they chronicle the history of Israel from Adam, to the Babylonian captivity, to Cyrus’s decree that allowed the exiled Jews to return to their land. The two books can be thought of as a “miniature Old Testament,” and are noted for presenting the most extensive (through 9:44) collection of genealogical tables in the Old Testament. The books record the ancestry of the tribes of Israel, they focus on the importance of the Davidic line from which Jesus descended (Saul 1051–1011 BC; David 1011–971 BC; Solomon 971–931 BC), they emphasize the priestly tribe of Levi, and they remind Israel of the importance of racial and religious purity.
Ezra is credited as the author of Chronicles although he is not specified by name in the book. Sources used in writing this book include prophetic records by Samuel (1 Chron. 29:29), Isaiah (2 Chron. 32:32), and others (2 Chron. 9:29; 12:15; 20:34; 33:19) and a significant source called “the Book of the Kings of Judah and Israel” (2 Chron. 16:11; 25:26). “The Book of the Kings of Judah and Israel” is not a reference to 1 and 2 Kings. It is likely an earlier, but unpreserved, record of the Davidic dynasty.
History tells that Ezra led a group of exiles back to Jerusalem in 458 and that he was concerned about building a true spiritual foundation for the people. Perhaps to further that mission, he compiled the Chronicles to emphasize the importance of racial and religious purity, the proper place of the law, and the significance and sanctity of the Temple and the priesthood. It should be noted that Chronicles omits detailed activities of the kings and prophets, and rather focuses on the rich heritage of God’s people and the blessings of their covenant relationship to God.
First Chronicles is filled with genealogies and it focuses on the reign of King David including the great covenant with David in 17:11-14 and David’s magnificent prayer of praise in 29:10-19.
OUTLINE OF 1 CHRONICLES
I. Genealogies from Adam to David, 1:1-9:44
A. Adam to Abraham, 1:1-27
B. Abraham to Jacob, 1:28-54
C. Jacob to David, 2:1-55
D. David to the Captivity, 3:1-24
E. Genealogies of the Twelve Tribes, 4:1-8:40
1. Judah, 4:1-23
2. Simeon, 4:24-43
3. Reuben, 5:1-10
4. Gad, 5:11-22
5. Manasseh, 5:23-26
6. Levi, 6:1-81
7. Issachar, 7:1-5
8. Benjamin, 7:6-12
9. Naphtali, 7:13
10. Manasseh, 7:14-19
11. Ephraim, 7:20-29
12. Asher, 7:30-40
13. Benjamin, 8:1-40
F. Jerusalem’s Inhabitants, 9:1-34
G. The Family of Saul, 9:35-44
II. David’s Anointing, 10:1-12:40
A. The Death of Saul, 10:1-14
B. The Accession of David, 11:1-3
C. The Capture of Jerusalem, 11:4-9
D. The Heroes of David, 11:10-12:40
III. David’s Reign, 13:1-29:21
A. David and the Ark, 13:1-17:27
1. David brings the ark to Chidon: Uzza’s death, 13:1-14
2. David’s fame and victory over the Philistines, 14:1-17
3. David brings the ark to Jerusalem, 15:1-29
4. David’s celebration and arrangements for the ark, 16:1-43
5. David’s desire to build a Temple: the Davidic covenant, 17:1-27
B. David’s Wars, 18:1-20:8
C. David’s Sinful Census, 21:1-30
D. David’s Preparations for the Temple, 22:1-23:1
E. David’s Organization of the Levites, 23:2-26:32
1. Numbering of and duties of the Levites, 23:2-32
2. Dividing the Levites into twenty-four groups, 24:1-31
3. Assigning the musicians, 25:1-31
4. Appointing gatekeepers, 26:1-19
5. Assigning the treasures, 26:20-28
6. Delegating magistrates, 26:29-32
F. David’s Civil Leaders, 27:1-34
G. David’s Last Instructions to the People and to Solomon, 28:1-21
H. David’s Offerings and Worship, 29:1-21
IV. The Accession of Solomon and Death of David, 29:22-30
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas