DATE: 450-425 B.C.
The books of 1 and 2 Chronicles were originally one book until 180 B.C. The Hebrew title for the books means “the words (affairs) of the days” and together they chronicle the history of Israel from Adam, to the Babylonian captivity, to Cyrus’s decree that allowed the exiled Jews to return to their land. The two books can be thought of as a “miniature Old Testament,” and are noted for presenting the most extensive (through 9:44) collection of genealogical tables in the Old Testament. The books record the ancestry of the tribes of Israel, they focus on the importance of the Davidic line from which Jesus descended (Saul 1051–1011 BC; David 1011–971 BC; Solomon 971–931 BC), they emphasize the priestly tribe of Levi, and they remind Israel of the importance of racial and religious purity.
Ezra is credited as the author of Chronicles although he is not specified by name in the book. Sources used in writing this book include prophetic records by Samuel (1 Chron. 29:29), Isaiah (2 Chron. 32:32), and others (2 Chron. 9:29; 12:15; 20:34; 33:19) and a significant source called “the Book of the Kings of Judah and Israel” (2 Chron. 16:11; 25:26). “The Book of the Kings of Judah and Israel” is not a reference to 1 and 2 Kings. It is likely an earlier, but unpreserved, record of the Davidic dynasty.
History tells that Ezra led a group of exiles back to Jerusalem in 458 and that he was concerned about building a true spiritual foundation for the people. Perhaps to further that mission, he compiled the Chronicles to emphasize the importance of racial and religious purity, the proper place of the law, and the significance and sanctity of the Temple and the priesthood. It should be noted that Chronicles omits detailed activities of the kings and prophets, and rather focuses on the rich heritage of God’s people and the blessings of their covenant relationship to God.
First Chronicles is filled with genealogies and it focuses on the reign of King David including the great covenant with David in 17:11-14 and David’s magnificent prayer of praise in 29:10-19.
OUTLINE OF 1 CHRONICLES
I. Genealogies from Adam to David, 1:1-9:44
A. Adam to Abraham, 1:1-27
B. Abraham to Jacob, 1:28-54
C. Jacob to David, 2:1-55
D. David to the Captivity, 3:1-24
E. Genealogies of the Twelve Tribes, 4:1-8:40
1. Judah, 4:1-23
2. Simeon, 4:24-43
3. Reuben, 5:1-10
4. Gad, 5:11-22
5. Manasseh, 5:23-26
6. Levi, 6:1-81
7. Issachar, 7:1-5
8. Benjamin, 7:6-12
9. Naphtali, 7:13
10. Manasseh, 7:14-19
11. Ephraim, 7:20-29
12. Asher, 7:30-40
13. Benjamin, 8:1-40
F. Jerusalem’s Inhabitants, 9:1-34
G. The Family of Saul, 9:35-44
II. David’s Anointing, 10:1-12:40
A. The Death of Saul, 10:1-14
B. The Accession of David, 11:1-3
C. The Capture of Jerusalem, 11:4-9
D. The Heroes of David, 11:10-12:40
III. David’s Reign, 13:1-29:21
A. David and the Ark, 13:1-17:27
1. David brings the ark to Chidon: Uzza’s death, 13:1-14
2. David’s fame and victory over the Philistines, 14:1-17
3. David brings the ark to Jerusalem, 15:1-29
4. David’s celebration and arrangements for the ark, 16:1-43
5. David’s desire to build a Temple: the Davidic covenant, 17:1-27
B. David’s Wars, 18:1-20:8
C. David’s Sinful Census, 21:1-30
D. David’s Preparations for the Temple, 22:1-23:1
E. David’s Organization of the Levites, 23:2-26:32
1. Numbering of and duties of the Levites, 23:2-32
2. Dividing the Levites into twenty-four groups, 24:1-31
3. Assigning the musicians, 25:1-31
4. Appointing gatekeepers, 26:1-19
5. Assigning the treasures, 26:20-28
6. Delegating magistrates, 26:29-32
F. David’s Civil Leaders, 27:1-34
G. David’s Last Instructions to the People and to Solomon, 28:1-21
H. David’s Offerings and Worship, 29:1-21
IV. The Accession of Solomon and Death of David, 29:22-30
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED