“How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” Genesis 39:9
Joseph was a slave and in a strange country; he was tempted by a wanton and revengeful mistress. Had he complied, he would have been sure of secrecy and rewards — but if he resisted, he might expect her keenest resentment, if not the loss of his life. Yet all these could not influence him. He chose to submit to every inconvenience and danger, rather than be guilty of so foul a crime and sin against God. Hence we may learn that the fear of God is a most effectual preservative against all criminal indulgences. It was this that restrained Joseph, and will, where it is possessed, have the same effect on all mankind. It regulates every passion, every spring of human actions, and includes in it all the most powerful motives by which the conduct of mankind is determined.
- If interest be the principal thing that sways us, it surely cannot be so certainly promoted as by securing the favor of God and avoiding His displeasure.
- If we regard our fears, He is the most formidable Being in the universe to a mind that has perverted its faculties and transgressed the laws of its nature.
- If we are swayed by hope, He is the supreme Good; if by love, He is the most amiable and perfect Excellence; if by gratitude, He is the Author of all our happiness.
Give me, O Lord, such godly fear,
As feels Your presence nigh;
And looks to You when sin is near,
And makes the tempter fly.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR