AUTHORS: Solomon and Others
DATE: 950-700 B.C.
First Kings 4:32 tells that Solomon spoke 3,000 proverbs and 1,005 songs. Proverbs 1:1-9:18, 10:1-22:16, and 25:1-29:27 are ascribed to Solomon, although the proverbs in 25:1-29:27 were selected from Solomon’s collection by King Hezekiah’s committee (25:1). We know nothing of Agur, author of Proverbs 30, or of Lemuel, author of Proverbs 31.
The Hebrew term for proverb means “a comparison,” and it came to be used for any sage or moralistic pronouncement (cf. Ezek 18:2; Ps 49:4). Many proverbs are condensed parables. The Book of Proverbs is a book of instructions on how to live a godly life here on earth and how to be assured of reward in the life to come. They impart God’s wisdom. They should not be read as promises, but rather and precepts and principles for everyday life. This type of literature goes back in written form to about 2700 B.C. in Egypt.
Some of the specific teachings in this book are instructions on folly, sin, goodness, wealth, poverty, the tongue, pride, humility, justice, vengeance, strife, gluttony, love, lust, laziness, friends, the family, life, and death. Almost every facet of human relationships is addressed, and the teaching of the book is applicable to all people everywhere.
Those most written of include wisdom – 23 chapters, the tongue and godliness – 20 chapters, riches, wealth and being correctable – 18 chapters, humility and living peaceably – 17 chapters, food – 16 chapters, children and parents, listening to advice – 15 chapters.
OUTLINE OF PROVERBS
I. Introduction, 1:1-7
A. The Author, 1:1
B. The Purpose, 1:2-6
C. The Theme, 1:7
II. The Precepts of Wisdom, 1:8-9:18
A. Avoid Bad Company, 1:8-19
B. Heed Wisdom’s Advice, 1:20-33
C. Avoid the Adulteress, 2:1-22
D. Trust and Honor God, 3:1-12
E. Consider the Value of Wisdom, 3:13-20
F. Be Kind and Generous to Others, 3:21-35
G. Acquire Wisdom, 4:1-9
H. Avoid Bad Company, 4:10-19
I. Watch Yourself, 4:20-27
J. Forsake Lust, 5:1-23
K. Avoid Surety, 6:1-5
L. Shun Laziness, 6:6-19
M. Avoid Adultery, 6:20-35
N. Avoid the Adulteress, 7:1-27
O. Wisdom and Folly Contrasted, 8:1-9:18
1. The qualities of wisdom, 8:1-21
2. The origin of wisdom, 8:22-31
3. The man of wisdom, 8:32-36
4. The woman of foolishness, 9:1-18
III. The Proverbs of Solomon, 10:1-24:34
A. Proverbs Contrasting Righteous and Wicked Lives, 10:1-15:33
B. Proverbs Encouraging Godly Lives, 16:1-22:16
C. Proverbs Concerning Various Practices, 22:17-23:35
D. Proverbs Concerning Various People, 24:1-3
IV. The Proverbs of Solomon Copied by Hezekiah’s Men, 25:1-29:27
A. Proverbs Concerning Relationships with Others, 25:1-26:28
1. With kings, 25:1-7
2. With neighbors, 25:8-20
3. With enemies, 25:21-24
4. With yourself, 25:25-26:2
5. With fools, 26:3-12
6. With sluggards, 26:13-16
7. With gossips, 26:17-2
B. Proverbs Concerning Actions, 27:1-29:27
1. In relation to life, 27:1-27
2. In relation to law, 28:1-10
3. In relation to wealth, 28:11-28
4. In relation to stubbornness, 29:1-27
V. The Words of Agur, 30:1-33
A. Personal Words, 30:1-14
B. Numerical Proverbs, 30:15-33
VI. The Words of Lemuel, 31:1-9
VII. The Capable Wife, 31:10-31
Videos and Charts Used By Permission of the Bible Project
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas