DATE: 61 AD
Philemon is another Prison Epistles (like Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians). It was written during Paul’s first imprisonment in Rome. Paul writes to Philemon out of concern for Onesimus (Philemon 1:10), Philemon’s slave who had stolen from his him and then run away. Philemon made his way to Rome, where he met the apostle Paul and was led him to faith in Christ (v. 10). Onesimus was now faced with doing his Christian duty toward his master by returning to him. Knowing that death would be the normal punishment for Onesimus’s crimes, Paul wrote this letter to Philemon to interceed on Onesimus’s behalf.
The Colossian church had other slaveholders in addition to Philemon (Col. 4:1). So, while Paul wrote specifically to Philemon, this letter gave guidelines for all relationships between Christians and their slave brothers. Paul asked Philemon to be guided by the principle of Christian brotherhood in dealing with Onesimus (v. 16). Paul offered to pay for whatever Onesimus owed. Paul did not deny the rights of Philemon over his slave, and this letter was not an attack against slavery. Paul’s words in this letter were meant to instruct about how Christian masters and slaves could live their faith within the system. It is possible that Philemon freed Onesimus and sent him back to Paul (v. 14). Some suggest that Onesimus became a minister and later bishop of the church at Ephesus.
The letter Paul wrote to Philemon is the most personal of all his letters.
OUTLINE OF PHILEMON
I. Greetings, 1-3
II. Praise of Philemon, 4-7
III. Plea to Philemon, 8-17
IV. Pledge to Philemon, 18-21
V. Personal Matters, 22-25
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOOa sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDANRiver mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean toTASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus?Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVENwithout knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?