It has become all too common to see someone’s attempt to offer a new Bible for the bookstore shelves. In the “Bibles” section there are so many different Bible versions that it’s difficult to figure out which one to purchase.
Why so many Bibles?
Several years ago, World Magazine exposed what they called, “The Stealth Bible.” Flying in under the radar was this new, so-called translation that emphasized “complete equivalence” instead of “word-for-word” translation work. And not only “thought-for-thought” being applied to the Bible text but also, “gender-neutral” wording.
It’s time to stand up and recognize that there are those who are adulterating the Word! They are messing with the words of the Word! Sadly, many Christians are not discerning as to what is happening to the precious “words” of God’s Word.
Be Mindful of the Words
The apostle Peter wrote, ”Beloved I now write to you . . . that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets.” (2 Peter 3:1-2 – NKJV)
The late Dr. Henry Morris writes, “There has long been a tendency for certain Bible teachers to water down the doctrine of verbal inspiration by arguing that it is the ‘thoughts’ of Scripture that count — not the precise words. They forget that the transmission of specific thoughts requires precise words. Ambiguous language is bound to produce fuzzy thinking and uncertain response.”
Just as it was in the past, there thre is a present day movement to make the Bible say what many would like it to say. Dr. Wayne Grudem has written that, “there are many . . . changes – literally thousands – that should cause evangelicals much concern.” He appeals to the church to take note.
Messing with the Words
There is a growing movement to not only paraphrase Scripture to to publish thought-for-thought translations,but also to “re-word” the Bible. As the preface of the NRSV states, it was “required that ‘masculine-oriented’ language should be eliminated.” Such terms that seek to call God “Father” are desired to refer to God as “Parent.”
The NRSV was one of the first, if not the first, revisions that used “gender-neutral” language. It was followed by many others, including the New Living Translation and the New Century Version. There are more, and they will keep coming.
Note Psalm 34, verse 20:
“He guards all His bones; not one of them is broken” (Psalm 34:20 – NKJV)
The “gender-neutral” revision of the NRSV renders it:
“He keeps all their bones; not one of them will be broken” (Psalm 34:20 – NRSV)
As Dr. Grudem has noted, “The individuality of the Messianic prediction, so wonderfully fulfilled in Jesus’ death, is lost to readers of the NRSV. And the NCV, NLT, and NIVI all have “their bones” as well, even though the statement is singular (“his bones”) in Hebrew.”
Christian Take Note
This is a serious matter! I raise a flag of deep concern to every brother and sister-in-Christ. Revelation 22:18-19 warns of messing with the words of the book and tells of consequences for doing so.
It should not surprise us that in our post-modern culture there are those within the Christian community that tend to flaunt their right to take that which is sacred, that which will not pass away (Mark 13:31), and re-structure it to serve their own fallen purposes. That’s why we are told to “prove all things; hold fast that which is good.” (1 Thessalonians 5:21).
Take note Christian! The words of the Word are from the breath of God and not to be messed with!
May we take a stand and declare loudly our commitment to hold fast to the accurate translating of the holy writings that have been committed to our care by our holy God. Tell publishers to stop messing with the words of the Word. Hold fast to sound word-for-word translations.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas