“If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.” 2 Corinthians 5:17
Let no man be discouraged from coming to Christ because he finds not in himself a godly sorrow for sin, an ability to repent, and all those spiritual qualifications which he desires to have. We must first be in Christ before we are new creatures.
We would gladly have something before we come. We are prone to conclude that God’s pardons are not free, but that we must bring something in our hand — whereas the proclamation runs thus: “Buy without money. Come and take the water of life freely.” Therefore, do not say, “I have a sinful disposition and a hard heart and cannot mourn for sin as I should; I will, therefore, stay until I am better.” This is as if you should say, “I must go to the physician, but I will have my disease healed first.”
The end of going to Christ is that:
- hardness of your heart may be taken away;
- deadness of your spirit may be removed;
- you may be enlivened, quickened, healed;
- you may hate sin and become fruitful in righteousness.
Look not for sanctification nor for genuine fruits of righteousness before your soul is united to Christ by a living faith.
For it is faith that purifies the heart and works (produces good works) by love. It is faith that proves to us the hand by which alone we can lay hold on Christ. You must first be in Christ, grafted into Christ by faith, before you can be a new creature.
Lord, give me faith, if I have it not, and increase it if I have, that I may bring forth fruit to Your glory.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store