Tears are one of the many consequences of sin. When God made man, He did so with the preview of his fall. “Evident,” we say, for the provision of a tear-duct to the eye, shows that it was designed, among other things, for weeping. And what a marvelous production is the human eye. Not only marvelous in the delicacy and complexity of its mechanism but also in its manifold uses and services. That small but expressive organ can glow with pleasure, flash with anger, stare in wonderment, shrink with horror, and be so suffused with the tears of sorrow as to pour out a rivulet of grief.
It is not wrong to weep at certain times.
Nay, God has bidden us do so. “Weep with those who weep” (Rom 12:15). Although that is not to be restricted to the literal and outward act. Nor is weeping necessarily a mark of weakness or effeminacy, for the God-man wept. Weeping is a merciful provision of the Creator. It has been rightly termed “nature’s safety valve.” As might well be expected, much is said in the Bible about weeping
John 11:35 is the shortest and, in some respects, the most wonderful and blessed verse in the Bible. What an awe-inspiring spectacle it presents to us. The Lord of glory, shedding tears! What a mysterious phenomenon. The Maker of Heaven and earth, weeping! The more so since the Prince of Life knew that in a few minutes, He would raise Lazarus! Why then did He weep? Because God’s Son had been made like to His brethren “in all things” (Heb 2:17). He was partaking of their susceptibilities and emotions. As the perfect Man beheld the grief of the friends and sisters of Lazarus, He could not but be deeply moved and weep with them. His tears on this occasion were those of compassion.
The great High Priest of His people was giving proof that He was touched with the feeling of their infirmities. We believe Jesus stood by that grave, looked down the centuries, and beheld each Christian home visited by death. His weeping at Bethany assures bereaved saints, that He sympathizes deeply with them. And He stands ready to pour the balm of Gilead into their sore hearts.
“Who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear” (Heb 5:7).
Those were the tears of anguish…
telling us of the severity of the Savior’s sufferings. The “days of His flesh” signifies the whole period of His humiliation. The “vehement cries and tears” indicate the extent to which Christ felt the terrible burden laid upon Him.
“Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews…by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears” (Act 20:19, 31).
Those were the tears of ministerial love and urgency.
No merely professional or perfunctory service was that rendered by the apostle [Paul]. He had such a love for souls as made him say, “I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you” (Gal 4:19). No wonder the Lord gave him so many “seals” to his ministry!
Let each servant of Christ who reads these lines, search his heart in the light of Acts 20:19, 31, and ask himself whether the absence of such “tears” is the explanation of the barrenness of his ministry.
It is written…
“Those who sow in tears, shall reap in joy.” (Psalm 126:5)
And perhaps the day to come will show that the latter, is in exact proportion to the former.
Excerpt from “Tears” by AW Pink, September 1950
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED