“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world — but that the world through Him might be saved. He who believes in Him is not condemned.” John 3:16-18
Oh that these truly precious words were ever warmly impressed on our hearts — that they were our last thoughts at night and the first at our waking in the morning; and that they were improved in such a manner as to make our dying-bed easy in the evening of our life, and ensure our rising with gladness in the morning of the resurrection!
What more blessed and delightful meditations can I daily dwell upon than to think thus: God has loved me, even me when I was His enemy and so loved me, that He gave me His only Son! Bless me with faith in Christ — then Christ is mine, and all things are mine (1 Corinthians 3:21). For since He has not spared His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all — then how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things (Romans 8:32)? He will never allow a believing soul to perish — He has passed His word for it. He has told me that I shall not perish; I shall not be condemned, but have everlasting life, if I believe. This will I build and depend upon, to my last moments, as upon an immovable rock.
Lord Jesus, on You will I rest in life and in death — and on You alone!
A new scene of time now begins. Present your hosanna, O my soul, that the Lord may save, bless, and prosper you!
May He grant you a happy new year, indeed! For this purpose, begin it with a dedication of yourself to God. Your time, circumstances, and life — are in His hands; implore His blessing and protection over you, this ensuing year.
Begin this and every following day with prayer. Let God have your first thoughts in the morning; the impression they make will not easily be erased by worldly things. Grace is promised in the use of means — be diligent then, and punctual in your attendance upon them.
Let your daily request be:
- for an increasing knowledge of yourself, and of Jesus Christ in His offices of prophet priest and king;
- for a sense of pardoning mercy;
- for a lively, vigorous faith; for communion with the Father and the Son, through the Spirit;
- for true holiness in heart and life; for strength and protection against your spiritual foes; and
- for persevering grace, to hold out to the end.
- for the prosperity of spiritual Zion;
- for your friends and relations, (imploring the Almighty to take them into a covenant relation to Himself);
- for a blessing on your worldly affairs;
- for a sanctified use of health or sickness, prosperity or adversity — as God shall be pleased to send.
Perhaps, O my soul, this may be the last year of the Lord’s patience and your pilgrimage.
- Is your state safe?
- Are you a real believer in Jesus? Is the oil of grace in your vessel?
- If so, you are prepared for every emergency. If not, there is danger!
- Lose no time, but flee to Jesus — flee without delay.
Strive to enter in at the straight gate — press through all difficulties! Do not rest until you have the Spirit’s witness in your heart, that you are accepted by God. Begin the new year thus, and you shall find at the end of it — that you are crowned with loving-kindness and tender mercy.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas