Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From Peter’s first letter we read,
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of the Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” (I Peter 1:3-5 – NASB)
I would suppose that we can read passages such as these from the Word of God and reach a point where they seem to have little effect on us. So many things tend to occupy our time, our thinking, our interests, and being the people we are, routines and schedules and activities can tend to cloud out our attention to the Bible and what it has to say to us.
But what if . . . . . what if persecution were to come upon us? What if, because we are believers in Christ, direct challenges were to come at us, such challenges, such troubles that we would be shaken from our routines and schedules and activities? What if the culture we live in would start to say to us, “Hey, you Christians, stop! It’s time you either abandon this manner in which you live, this doctrine you have embraced, or we’re going to have to deal harshly with you! We just are not going to tolerate your practice if it is going to continue to go against what we as a world deem is the way things should be.” In laymen’s terms, “You are interfering with and challenging the very culture we are attempting to mold and shape into existence.”
Hillary Clinton, speaking on the issue of abortion at a feminist forum in April 2015 stated that, “deep-seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed.” Why? Well, it seems she is of the belief that they are getting in the way of societal progress as she sees it. They “have to be changed” she said to her large audience due to “reproductive health care and safe childbirth.” In her support of women’s rights, rights that would further the control of women over their own lives, Mrs. Clinton’s made it known that it was her belief that “religious beliefs . . . have to be changed.” And take note, the society that we are living in, as so many opinion polls indicate, is pulling alongside this ideology more and more, even churches.
Peter wrote his epistle “to those who reside as aliens” in different provinces throughout Asia Minor. Persecution was a main reason for his writing. Confronted by a pagan world that said, “Hey, you Christians! Your practice is incompatible with our practice, and so it must stopped!” In other words, “cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases” that are at the very core of your doctrine “have to be changed.” It was noted well by the culture of that time that Christian values served to inhibit pagan progress.
So Peter wrote to his fellow-believers in Christ and gave them words of hope, words that they needed to take in and lean upon in times of persecution, in times when they were going to be challenged to change their beliefs or pay the consequences. (Note: I wonder if that is what Mrs. Clinton was suggesting in her strong words confronting “religious beliefs” and their need “to be changed:” consequences if you don’t change?)
Hope amidst impending persecution, that’s my title, for brethren hope abounds for us who are in Christ. And it is a “living hope,” one that knows we have “an inheritance” that “is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away,” and that it is ‘reserved in heaven for you.” Hope amidst impending, even existing persecution. And the Word says, and we need to take this to heart, that we “are protected by the power of God” and this “protection” is sure as we hold fast the “faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.”
Peter says of this,
“In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials.” (I Peter 1:6 – NASB)
Hope amidst impending, even existing persecution. Don’t let the world and the busy routines and schedules and activities blur your vision of this valuable counsel for every believer from God and His Word. Don’t miss it and be caught off-guard and end up compromising with the world.
Have a good day brethren . . . and I suggest you take these Scriptures in and let them be as they are intended to be, a balm to the soul amidst various trials.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED