Some Christians quickly answer, “God only allows such things to afflict us.” But those who study the Word of God know that’s not true.
Begin by remembering that God is not capable of doing anything sinful — that is, He cannot do anything contrary to His attributes. Yet, He can and does use man’s sins for His good purposes and His perfect plan. Furthermore, He can and does bring things about that we might consider being troubles or bad things, even evil. But we must remember they are always for His good purposes, His perfect plan, and His glory in conforming us to Jesus.
His Will for Us
We must understand that God cares more about our spiritual growth than our creature comfort. He has given us everything we truly need, and He will continue to meet our needs. But that doesn’t mean He will give us everything we want.
In this world, we will have tribulation, but Jesus has overcome the world (John 16:33). We will experience trials and sorrow. We won’t always be happy. But we should understand that God cares most about our holiness. Happiness is temporal and circumstantial. It is experienced when things go according to our desires, and life is easy and comfortable. it can quickly fade. On the other hand, growing in holiness is finding peace and contentment in any circumstance. It brings true rest and is eternal.
So Why Do Bad Things Happen to God’s People
The questions are often asked, “If God is good, why is this trouble happening to me? If God loves me, why doesn’t He do something about my troubles or the evil afflicting me?”
Sadly some have erroneously concluded, “Since God isn’t doing something, either He is not good, or He is not in control.” Neither are true.
The Book of Job
The book of Job most beautifully reveals that God is always good and always in control. He ordains or He allows things to happen, according to His perfect purpose and with divine love to grow us in a deeper relationship with Him.
Watch this short video by Pastor Tullian Tchividjian from The Sanctuary, Jupiter, FL. It addresses Job 1:21, “The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away,” and Job 42:11, “… all the adversity that the LORD had brought upon him.”
You can watch more of Pastor Tullian’s short teachings on the Book of Job here: The Book of Job – Short Video Clips.
Watch Tullian’s entire message here.
About Tullian Tchividjian
Tullian is the pastor at The Sanctuary church in Jupiter, Florida. He is the grandson of the late evangelist Billy Graham and his wife Ruth Graham. Tullian pastored two churches in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, before planting The Sanctuary in Jupiter. The Sanctuary is a non-denominational church proclaiming the boundless love of Jesus to a broken world. Because of what Jesus has accomplished for us, The Sanctuary is a place to find love and laughter, hope and healing, acceptance and forgiveness, and mercy and help. Watch more of Pastor Tullian's messages on The Sanctuary's YouTube.channel. Connect with the church on Facebook or online. Find Tulllian's books on Amazon.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas