DATE: 63-64 AD
This letter, written by Peter, is addressed to “the strangers [pilgrim] scattered [dispersed] throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia” (1:1). Their situation was one of suffering and trial (1 Pet 4:12) as they tried to live faithfully in a pagan and hostile society. Peter wrote to encourage them to rejoice and live with hope in the Lord to overcome their troubles.
Peter tells that he wrote from “Babylon” (1 Peter 5:13), a symbolic name for Rome that was often used by writers who wished to avoid trouble with the Roman authorities. Peter was in Rome during the last decade of his life and wrote this epistle prior to Nero’s persecution in 64 AD. Peter was martyred about 67 AD.
The message of Peter’s letter was revealed by him to be “the true grace of God” in the life of a believer (1 Peter 5:12).
OUTLINE OF 1 PETER
I. Salutation, 1:1-2
II. Grace Means Security, 1:3-12
A. Doxology, 1:3-9
B. The Prophets and the Gospel, 1:10-12
III. Grace Means Sobriety, 1:13-2:10
A. In Holiness, 1:13-16
B. In Fear, 1:17-21
C. In Love, 1:22-25
D. In Growth, 2:1-10
IV. Grace Means Submission, 2:11-3:12
A. To Governments, 2:11-17
B. To Masters, 2:18-25
C. To Husbands, 3:1-7
D. Recapitulation, 3:8-12
V. Grace Means Suffering, 3:13-4:19
A. Reasons for Suffering, 3:13-4:6
B. Reactions in Suffering, 4:7-19
VI. Grace Means Service, 5:1-11
VII. Concluding Remarks, 5:12-14
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge