DATE: 63-64 AD
This letter, written by Peter, is addressed to “the strangers [pilgrim] scattered [dispersed] throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia” (1:1). Their situation was one of suffering and trial (1 Pet 4:12) as they tried to live faithfully in a pagan and hostile society. Peter wrote to encourage them to rejoice and live with hope in the Lord to overcome their troubles.
Peter tells that he wrote from “Babylon” (1 Peter 5:13), a symbolic name for Rome that was often used by writers who wished to avoid trouble with the Roman authorities. Peter was in Rome during the last decade of his life and wrote this epistle prior to Nero’s persecution in 64 AD. Peter was martyred about 67 AD.
The message of Peter’s letter was revealed by him to be “the true grace of God” in the life of a believer (1 Peter 5:12).
OUTLINE OF 1 PETER
I. Salutation, 1:1-2
II. Grace Means Security, 1:3-12
A. Doxology, 1:3-9
B. The Prophets and the Gospel, 1:10-12
III. Grace Means Sobriety, 1:13-2:10
A. In Holiness, 1:13-16
B. In Fear, 1:17-21
C. In Love, 1:22-25
D. In Growth, 2:1-10
IV. Grace Means Submission, 2:11-3:12
A. To Governments, 2:11-17
B. To Masters, 2:18-25
C. To Husbands, 3:1-7
D. Recapitulation, 3:8-12
V. Grace Means Suffering, 3:13-4:19
A. Reasons for Suffering, 3:13-4:6
B. Reactions in Suffering, 4:7-19
VI. Grace Means Service, 5:1-11
VII. Concluding Remarks, 5:12-14
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store