DATE: 63-66 AD
When Paul left Crete to go to Nicopolis in Achaia (southern Greece, Titus 3:12), he put Titus in charge of the churches at Crete. Either from Macedonia or Nicopolis, he wrote this letter to encourage Titus.
Titus was a Gentile by birth (Gal. 2:3) and was converted through the ministry of Paul (Titus 1:4). Titus accompanied Paul to Jerusalem at the time of the apostolic council (Acts 15:2; Gal. 2:1-3). He was Paul’s emissary to the church at Corinth during the third missionary journey (2 Cor. 7:6-7; 8:6, 16). Titus and two others took the letter we call 2 Corinthians to Corinth and urged the Corinthians to fulfill their promise to give to the poor in Jerusalem. Paul left Titus in Crete to use his administrative gifts to consolidate the work there. Artemas or Tychicus probably relieved Titus in Crete so he could join Paul in Nicopolis (Titus 3:12), from where Paul sent him to Dalmatia, the former Yugoslavia (2 Tim. 4:10). Tradition says that Titus returned to Crete and died there.
In his letter to Titus, Paul discussed the qualifications for elders (Titus 1:5-9), instructions to various age groups (Titus 2:1-8), relationship to government (Titus 3:1-2), and the relation of regeneration to human works and to the Spirit (Titus 3:5).
OUTLINE OF TITUS
I. Opening Greetings, 1:1-4
II. Elders in the Church, 1:5-9
A. Their Desirability, 1:5
B. Their Qualifications, 1:6-9
III. Offenders in the Church, 1:10-16
IV. Operation of the Church, 2:1-3:11
A. Duties of the Minister, 2:1-10
B. Living in Response to God’s Grace, 2:11-15
C. Demonstration of Good Works, 3:1-11
1. In relation to governments, 3:1
2. In relation to all people, 3:2-8
3. In relation to false teachers, 3:9-11
V. Personal Messages and Greetings, 3:12-15
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge