DATE: 63-66 AD
When Paul left Crete to go to Nicopolis in Achaia (southern Greece, Titus 3:12), he put Titus in charge of the churches at Crete. Either from Macedonia or Nicopolis, he wrote this letter to encourage Titus.
Titus was a Gentile by birth (Gal. 2:3) and was converted through the ministry of Paul (Titus 1:4). Titus accompanied Paul to Jerusalem at the time of the apostolic council (Acts 15:2; Gal. 2:1-3). He was Paul’s emissary to the church at Corinth during the third missionary journey (2 Cor. 7:6-7; 8:6, 16). Titus and two others took the letter we call 2 Corinthians to Corinth and urged the Corinthians to fulfill their promise to give to the poor in Jerusalem. Paul left Titus in Crete to use his administrative gifts to consolidate the work there. Artemas or Tychicus probably relieved Titus in Crete so he could join Paul in Nicopolis (Titus 3:12), from where Paul sent him to Dalmatia, the former Yugoslavia (2 Tim. 4:10). Tradition says that Titus returned to Crete and died there.
In his letter to Titus, Paul discussed the qualifications for elders (Titus 1:5-9), instructions to various age groups (Titus 2:1-8), relationship to government (Titus 3:1-2), and the relation of regeneration to human works and to the Spirit (Titus 3:5).
OUTLINE OF TITUS
I. Opening Greetings, 1:1-4
II. Elders in the Church, 1:5-9
A. Their Desirability, 1:5
B. Their Qualifications, 1:6-9
III. Offenders in the Church, 1:10-16
IV. Operation of the Church, 2:1-3:11
A. Duties of the Minister, 2:1-10
B. Living in Response to God’s Grace, 2:11-15
C. Demonstration of Good Works, 3:1-11
1. In relation to governments, 3:1
2. In relation to all people, 3:2-8
3. In relation to false teachers, 3:9-11
V. Personal Messages and Greetings, 3:12-15
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store