May the Lord awaken you to the knowledge of your redemption. May it be in your mind that you are able to raise up with the wonderful assurance that in Christ you have been saved from the wrath to come. And may that bring to your mind that the Lord is worthy of our first thought as we awake from our slumber, and for that matter, of every thought from thereon.
I have prayed on numerous occasions, “Lord, may I not profane Thy name or bring reproach to Your name.”
Can we profane God’s name, can we bring reproach to it? One thing is for certain, it is certainly not something we want to do, for He has great concern for His name. From the Scriptures we learn He will sovereignly chastise any who would act in such a way as to bring dishonor to His name, who would, by their actions, profane His name.
Note our example of this from the book of Ezekiel, chapter 20. Here in this chapter the prophet Ezekiel gives a brief history of God’s dealings with Israel. And from verse one to verse twenty-two we learn how, when His people rebel, God acts for the very sake of His name.
“Son of man, speak to the elders of Israel . . . I chose Israel . . . but they rebelled against Me and were not willing to listen to Me . . . Then I resolved to pour out My wrath on them, to accomplish My anger against them . . . But I acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations . . .”
“So I took them out of the land of Egypt . . . And I gave them My statutes . . . But the house of Israel rebelled against Me . . . They did not walk in My statutes . . . Then I resolved to pour out My wrath on them . . . But I acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations . . .”
“And I said to their children in the wilderness, ‘Do not walk in the statutes of your fathers . . . I am the LORD your God; walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances, and observe them’ . . . But the children rebelled against Me . . . So I resolved to pour out My wrath on them . . . But I withdrew My hand and acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations . . .” (Ezekiel 20:1-22 – NASB)
We are told in the New Testament that the things that happened to Israel in the Old Testament were written for an example, that we, who are the redeemed in Christ, should not make the same mistakes (I Corinthians 10).
As we look at the aforementioned texts I am of the mind that they give us great insight to what God desired of Israel, what they failed to do, and why that is a most serious matter.
Personally, from these texts, I have learned to pray, “Lord, may I not profane Thy name or bring reproach to Your name.” May I, by the power You have given me, “listen to” You. May I, who has Your “statutes . . . walk in” them. May I, who has Your “ordinances . . . observe them.” May I not be found to be one who, by my disobedience, would bring dishonor to Your name, would actually cause You to have to act toward me in a stern and corrective manner because of concern for Your name.
Sensitive issues for me; how about you? I struggle with the flesh and its desires, but oh how I deeply desire never to profane the name of my God.
Pray for me if you would. And pray for yourself. Pray that we would never profane His name or bring reproach to His name — but that we be found faithful in bringing honor to His name, glorifying Him in all things.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas