May the Lord awaken you to the knowledge of your redemption. May it be in your mind that you are able to raise up with the wonderful assurance that in Christ you have been saved from the wrath to come. And may that bring to your mind that the Lord is worthy of our first thought as we awake from our slumber, and for that matter, of every thought from thereon.
I have prayed on numerous occasions, “Lord, may I not profane Thy name or bring reproach to Your name.”
Can we profane God’s name, can we bring reproach to it? One thing is for certain, it is certainly not something we want to do, for He has great concern for His name. From the Scriptures we learn He will sovereignly chastise any who would act in such a way as to bring dishonor to His name, who would, by their actions, profane His name.
Note our example of this from the book of Ezekiel, chapter 20. Here in this chapter the prophet Ezekiel gives a brief history of God’s dealings with Israel. And from verse one to verse twenty-two we learn how, when His people rebel, God acts for the very sake of His name.
“Son of man, speak to the elders of Israel . . . I chose Israel . . . but they rebelled against Me and were not willing to listen to Me . . . Then I resolved to pour out My wrath on them, to accomplish My anger against them . . . But I acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations . . .”
“So I took them out of the land of Egypt . . . And I gave them My statutes . . . But the house of Israel rebelled against Me . . . They did not walk in My statutes . . . Then I resolved to pour out My wrath on them . . . But I acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations . . .”
“And I said to their children in the wilderness, ‘Do not walk in the statutes of your fathers . . . I am the LORD your God; walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances, and observe them’ . . . But the children rebelled against Me . . . So I resolved to pour out My wrath on them . . . But I withdrew My hand and acted for the sake of My name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations . . .” (Ezekiel 20:1-22 – NASB)
We are told in the New Testament that the things that happened to Israel in the Old Testament were written for an example, that we, who are the redeemed in Christ, should not make the same mistakes (I Corinthians 10).
As we look at the aforementioned texts I am of the mind that they give us great insight to what God desired of Israel, what they failed to do, and why that is a most serious matter.
Personally, from these texts, I have learned to pray, “Lord, may I not profane Thy name or bring reproach to Your name.” May I, by the power You have given me, “listen to” You. May I, who has Your “statutes . . . walk in” them. May I, who has Your “ordinances . . . observe them.” May I not be found to be one who, by my disobedience, would bring dishonor to Your name, would actually cause You to have to act toward me in a stern and corrective manner because of concern for Your name.
Sensitive issues for me; how about you? I struggle with the flesh and its desires, but oh how I deeply desire never to profane the name of my God.
Pray for me if you would. And pray for yourself. Pray that we would never profane His name or bring reproach to His name — but that we be found faithful in bringing honor to His name, glorifying Him in all things.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
At Reasons for Hope* Jesus, we are committed to equipping, encouraging, and empowering Christians to know Jesus better, love Him more, and share their faith. We also reach the lost through our Salvation Page.
With your support, we can continue to provide valuable resources and engaging content. Please join us in our mission by donating today. Your generous contribution helps us expand our outreach of sharing biblical truths and hope in Jesus. Thank you for your kindness and for being an integral part of our mission.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED