“Do not swear at all.” Matthew 5:34
- Swear not by the creatures. That, in effect, is swearing by their Maker.
- Neither swear by your Maker, unless called to it by authority for putting an end to strife.
- Swear not falsely. Calling the God of truth to witness a lie.
- Swear not needlessly or rashly, as Saul did (1 Samuel 14:39). Such oaths or vows are ensnaring.
- Swear not idle, common oaths, such as, “O Christ!” “O God!” “Faith or truth!” “By my soul!” “As I live!” “God bless me!”
We must give account for every idle word, much more for every idle oath, and most of all for horrible blasphemy that profanes God’s name and is the very language of Hell. As for him who is guilty of perjury, he not only harms his own soul but seeks to ruin his neighbor by perverting justice and robbing the innocent of his right. Sometimes God takes a false swearer and self-curser at his word and strikes him dead on the spot. Sometimes He says, “Let him alone!” — terrible judgment indeed.
Lord, help the guilty to repent of their sin and help all to watch and pray against it. My soul, let your yes be yes and your no be no, as your Lord commands you.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR