“In the LORD I have righteousness and strength.” Isaiah 45:24 [See also 2 Corinthians 2:14, 5:19.]
Justification through faith in Christ seems at first a very dark doctrine, hard to be understood. But, after seriously considering it, in reference to ourselves we find by Scripture and by experience that we cannot be saved in any other way and that nothing can be surer than this, though all mankind should turn away from it. When we are made to see that our best performances are unclean in the sight of God and we cannot be accepted without the imputation of Christ’s righteousness, then we are brought to submit entirely to Christ, and at last to look upon ourselves as wholly justified through Him, which alone produces rest, strength, and a gentle spirit — the true image of Christ.
In vain do we hope to procure this rest by any reasonings or strong resolutions of our own? For if we are sometimes able to master our affections by our own strength, it is yet a building of our own and prevents our being earnest in prayer. It would be a form of godliness without its power and we would still be deceiving our own souls.
Nothing can be pleasing in the sight of God, and profit us in the last day, but that which He works Himself. Away, therefore, with all confidence in our works of righteousness. Let us acknowledge the weakness of our strength and apply in our poor, blind, naked, lost, and miserable condition, to the blood and righteousness of Christ. Then we shall also find power and dominion over sin.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store