“What are you doing here, Elijah?” 1 Kings 19:13
Let this question be supposed as addressed to us: “What are you doing here,” in this world, into which you are sent?
- Are you working the work of Him that sent you, or standing all the day idle?
- How do you acquit yourself in the duties of your particular calling?
- Are you upright, conscientious, and useful therein?
- Are you in the post assigned you, truly called and properly qualified for it?
Or have you thrust yourself into it without warrant or invitation, and therefore have no cause to expect success?
- What are you doing here, in this retirement? Is the world shut out of your thoughts, and are the visits of the blessed Spirit invited?
- What are you doing here, if it be not your wish and endeavor to have communion with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ?
- What are you doing here, if you are not at peace with God? If you desire peace and safety, plead the blood of Jesus; flee to the city of refuge before the avenger of blood overtakes you and you perish. “Remember Lot’s wife,” and look not behind you, lest you become a monument of wrath.
- What are you doing here in times of trial? Are you flying from the danger, or boldly facing it in the name and strength of the Lord? Are you ashamed of the cross, or do you willingly take it upon you?
Or are you for pitching your tent here, satisfied with your present portion, instead of looking to a better country, to “a city that has foundations, whose builder and maker is God”?
O to say honestly and heartily, “I am here, Lord, to glorify You!”
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and we need your help to continue. Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?*** Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR