“What may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.” Romans 1:19
Some things declared and enjoined in the gospel have their foundation in the law and light of nature; such are all the things which relate to our moral conduct. The apostle, speaking of mankind in general, says, “What may be known of God is manifest in them”; the essential properties of God, rendering our duty to Him necessary, are known by the light of nature. By the same light are men able to make a judgment of their actions, whether they be good or evil (Romans 2:14-15). The same law and light which reveal these things do also enjoin their observance. Thus it is with all men before the preaching of the gospel to them. The gospel adds two things to the minds of men:
- It directs us to a right performance of those things, from a right principle, by a right rule, and to a right end; so that they, and we in them, may obtain acceptance with God; hereby it gives them a new nature and turns moral duties into evangelical obedience.
- By a communication of that Spirit which is joined to its dispensation, it supplies us with strength for their performance in the manner it directs.
Having this manifestation both of the authority and of the grace of God, let us walk constantly in the light of Divine truth — recollecting that in proportion to the extent of our privileges, will be the weight of our condemnation if we remain either ignorant or unholy. But while the precepts direct our way, let us look to the promise for strength to walk in it.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR