“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above.” James 1:17
Reader, it is a point of the greatest importance for you to know, that every evil thing is of yourself and every good thing is of God.
Without faith we cannot be saved; but (says Paul, Ephesians 2:8), “By grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.” We are commanded to repent; but (Acts 5:31) we read that Christ is exalted at the Father’s right hand, to be a “Prince and a Savior, to give repentance to Israel.” We must be born again; but regeneration is wholly of God’s will. His children are “born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man — but of God” (John 1:13).
- Saving knowledge is the gift of God: “to you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of Heaven” (Matthew 13:11).
- Effectual calling is a Divine work (2 Timothy 1:9).
- Justification is entirely of grace; we are justified freely.
- Adoption is an act of grace; He grants that high privilege as it seems good in His sight.
- Perseverance in duty is God’s gift; for “We are preserved by the power of God to salvation.”
- Eternal life is also a gift: “the gift of God is eternal life, through Jesus Christ.”
A right knowledge of these things, believer, will keep you humble, and dependent upon God; and not only dispose you to give Him the glory of His grace — but to seek to Him diligently for it. And a clear representation of them will encourage the poor, guilty, self-condemned sinner to seek them because they are free gifts, and entirely of grace.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store