“Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.” Romans 3:28
“You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.” James 2:24
Both these apostles wrote by inspiration. Paul answers this question both affirmatively and negatively, that a man is justified before God by faith, without the deeds of the law; and in the 20th verse positively affirms that “by the deeds of the no flesh will be justified.” James asserts that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
- Paul speaks of the justification of penitent sinners before God, James of the justification of saints before men.
- Paul of the justification of sinners believing in the righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ for pardon and life, James of the works of righteousness after justification by faith in Christ.
- Paul speaks of faith touching its office in the article of justification before God, James of faith in its fruits and effects.
- Paul’s faith is supposed to be fruitful in obedience, in consequence of an interest in the merits of Christ; James’s faith is declared so to be by obedience actually performed.
Wherever there is a true faith, it must fix on Jesus Christ alone for salvation. This faith unites to Christ, and where there is union there must be love. Were there is love there must be obedience. Where there is obedience there will be a reward of grace. And when the reward is acknowledged to be of grace and not of merit, God will have all the glory in time and in eternity.
Lord, give me a living, working faith, that I may be justified before God and men!
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here NOW!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and we need your help to continue. Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?*** Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR