“Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth — but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.” Ephesians 4:29
“Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting.” Ephesians 5:4
Idle words are hurtful words — they grieve the Holy Spirit, destroy the sacred and happy feelings which have been obtained by prayer, and cause nothing but levity and distraction of mind. Let this be a caution against a talkative disposition, which is usually productive of corrupt communications. May all Christians take heed to refrain their tongues and never speak unadvisedly — but always consider first whether their words can be profitable to others and acceptable to God in Heaven.
O Lord, teach me Your wisdom, “to keep my mouth as it were with a bridle,” and to weigh all my words like gold. Let my heart and lips be governed by Your Holy Spirit, that both my silence and talking may be according to Your will and discretion. Grant that I may converse much with You in prayer and thanksgiving, for my own spiritual good and that of others; and whenever I open my lips, let my words be so seasoned and blessed as to minister grace to the hearers. O, for salt to season the conversation of Christians in the present day and my conversation especially!
If anything could tempt my soul to stray
From heavenly wisdom’s narrow way,
To fly the good I would pursue,
Or do the thing I would not do —
Still He who felt temptation’s power
Will guard me in that dangerous hour.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store