“I have found the Book of the Law in the house of the LORD.” 2 Kings 22:8
Some have supposed that the priests, to save themselves the trouble of writing, and the people of reading, the book at large, had furnished themselves with abstracts of the law, leaving out or slightly mentioning some parts thereof — particularly the threatenings; and therefore, Josiah, when he made the discovery of the whole, was the more affected, in consequence of having been brought up without the knowledge of it.
The book of God’s law seems, in our day also, to be lost as it regards many congregations of professed Christians. Imperfect accounts of it are given, which hide the promised blessings and the threatened curses. When this book by spiritual light is found, and on reading or hearing thereof, conviction reaches the conscience, it is a great instance of God’s favor, a token for good, and must be faithfully acknowledged as such.
Reader, are you truly apprehensive of the weight of God’s wrath and solicitous to obtain His favor? Seek earnestly, upon your knees and in the house of the Lord, redemption from the curses of the law. Pray that Jesus may be revealed to you. The blood of the Lamb of God alone can take away the guilt of sin. Having, therefore, found the law, rest not till you find the gospel also.
Josiah’s heart was tender; he wept and was encouraged. Refuse not to participate in his sorrow. So shall you receive favor, even as he did. Make the law of God your continual delight and counselor.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store