“The loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be brought low; the LORD alone will be exalted in that day.” Isaiah 2:17
“Pride,” says the son of Sirach, “was not made for man.” “Everyone,” says Solomon, “that is proud in heart, is an abomination to the Lord.” Yet what is more common than pride and self-righteousness among the fallen children of Adam? So deeply are they engrafted in our corrupt natures that nothing short of almighty grace can root them up.
- It is the great design and effect of the blessed gospel, wherever it is applied to the heart by the Spirit of God, to mortify these fatal evils. In that day:
- The haughtiness of man (his self-will, which he set up in opposition to the will of God) shall be brought down.
- His self-righteousness, by which he thought to recommend himself to the favor of God, shall be made low.
- Christ, and His righteousness alone, shall be exalted.
Has this precious promise ever been fulfilled in your experience, O my soul?
- Is the will of God your rule?
- Is the righteousness of Christ your hope?
- And is the language of your heart and life?
“Let God in all things be exalted in me and by me, through Christ Jesus!” Without this, O my soul, your profession is vain; your faith is also vain. You have exalted yourself in the place of your Lord, and your righteousness and your confidence are founded on the sand; and so sure as this is the case, the Lord will have a controversy with you and bring you down.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR