“From that time Jesus began to preach and to say: Repent, for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand!” Matthew 4:17
The kingdom of Heaven appertains to those who repent. The first mark of repentance is poverty of spirit; hence Jesus said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit — for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven” (Matthew 5:3). John preached repentance; Jesus preaches it here; and so did His apostles afterward. Thus true repentance is necessary for all.
The beginning of poverty of spirit, is to acknowledge ourselves poor, miserable sinners, depraved by nature and totally void of any righteousness and worth of our own; to confess our nakedness; to drop all the fig leaves of vain excuses and false comforts; to lay open our poverty and needs before God; to accuse ourselves and plead guilty of all our sins — and at the same time, to seek mercy from Christ. If we do this, we are blessed — and the kingdom of Heaven is ours.
This poverty of spirit is both the first and the last foundation laid in the heart, for the faithful are more and more grounded in poverty of spirit, the nearer they approach their death; and just as they are leaving earth for Heaven — they feel themselves to be less than nothing and vanity!
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOOa sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDANRiver mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean toTASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus?Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVENwithout knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?