“If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” Romans 12:18
There is much contest in the world about property; but believers, taking Christ for their only Property (a property of which none can dispossess them) have, in Him alone, immense treasures and lasting peace. And since, therefore, wrath and anger turn into nothing but disquietness and are punished by themselves, why do you, having so much to enrich and delight you, suffer yourself to be easily moved by them? The least provocation, it may be, even a single word, will stir up the corruption of your heart, so as to change your countenance and make you speak unadvisedly. But consider how God bears with you and what abomination anger is. It is the venom of the old serpent.
As for you, called as you are to bear the image of God and bring forth the fruits of the good Spirit, you must follow the lamb-like mind of Christ. For this purpose it is necessary:
- first, to avoid all occasions of strife;
- secondly, if quarrels arise, to bridle our tongues;
- thirdly, to suffer patiently when we are wronged;
- fourthly, immediately to offer up fervent prayer and thus to quench the sparks of fire before they break out into a flame.
This is the easiest and the only method to prevent great troubles and lead a peaceful, happy life; for anger carries in itself uneasiness, and love a sweet satisfaction.
Lord, preserve me from anger, wrath, clamor, and all that is opposed to the mind and temper of Your beloved Son!
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store