DATE: 450-400 B.C.
We know nothing about the prophet Malachi. There is no historical record of him, nor is any genealogy given. We do know that his name means “my messenger” and he does exactly that. He delivers the message that God has given him. In the 55 verses, God is referred to in 53 verses. Malachi presents God as a Father who has spiritual children who do not return His love. Because their hearts were not devoted to God, their families were not devoted to God. The people chose lethargy over legacy, apathy over adoration.
Malachi prophesied about 100 years after the return of the Jews from Babylon to Jerusalem. The city and the second Temple had been built, but the initial enthusiasm of the people had diminished. Following revival under Nehemiah (Neh 10:28-39), the people and priests had backslidden to the point of making unworthy offerings (Mal 1:7) and being delinquent in their tithing (Mal 3:8), and yet they could not understand why God was dissatisfied with them.
Malachi rebuked the people for their neglect of the true worship of the Lord (Mal 1:6) by using a question-and-answer method (23 questions in this book). Malachi also called God’s people to repentance (Mal 3:7).
OUTLINE OF MALACHI
I. God’s Compassion for Israel, 1:1-5
A. His Compassion Declared, 1:1-2a
B. His Compassion Doubted, 1:2b
C. His Compassion Demonstrated, 1:3-5
II. God’s Complaint Against Israel, 1:6-3:15
A. Cheating, 1:6-14
B. Unfaithfulness, 2:1-9
C. Spiritually Mixed Marriages, 2:10-12
D. Divorce, 2:13-16
E. Impiety and Impertinence, 2:17
F. Parenthesis: The Coming of John the Baptist, 3:1-6
G. Robbery, 3:7-12
H. Arrogance, 3:13-15
III. God’s Condemnation of the People, 3:16-4:6
A. The Ungodly People, 3:16-18
B. The Nature of God’s Judgment, 4:1-6
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?