The Long and Short of It?
- What are the longest and shortest sentences in the Bible?
- What are the longest and shortest verses in the Bible?
- What are the longest and shortest chapters in the Bible?
- What are the longest and shortest books in the Bible?
- How many people own a Bible?
- What is the most used word in the Bible?
- In how many languages has the Bible been translated?
- The longest sentence is the genealogy of Jesus found in Luke 3:23-38 , 469 words in the KJV. The shortest sentence is “Jesus wept.” John 11:35
- The longest verse in the Bible is Esther 8:9. The shortest verse is the same as the shortest sentence: John 11:35
- The longest chapter in the Bible in the Bible is Psalm 119. The shortest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 117.
- The longest book in the Bible is the book of Psalms. The shortest book in the Bible is 3 John.
- The Barna Research Group reported in 2013 that nearly nine out of 10 Americans own a Bible (88 percent), and of that group, on average, they own 4.4 copies of the Bible.
- The most used word in the Bible is “the.”
- According to wyclliff.org (2015):
More than 1,300 languages have access to the New Testament and some portions of Scripture in their language.
More than 550 languages have the complete translated Bible.
About 7,000 languages are known to be in use today.
Up to 180 million people need Bible translation to begin in their language.
Just under 2,300 languages across 130 countries have active translation and linguistic development work happening right now.
Up to 1,800 languages still need a Bible translation project to begin.