“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.” Exodus 20:8
“I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day.” Revelation 1:10
Reader, I know not who or what you are — but may the God of all grace bless this meditation to your soul. Perhaps you are a careless sinner, who to this day has trifled with Sabbaths. O do not profane the Lord’s day anymore! But, if you have any value for your soul, attend upon His worship and desire to be “in the Spirit on His day.” Perhaps you are punctual in outward services; so far is praiseworthy — but awful is your mistake if you make any outward service the ground of your acceptance. “In the Lord alone,” exclaims the enlightened believer, “have I righteousness and strength,” and so will you say, if “in the Spirit.”
Or you may have been a splendid professor — but now a grievous backslider. If, happily, once more you should be “in the Spirit on the Lord’s day,” you will look to God for fresh sprinklings of the Redeemer’s blood, and to the Spirit for His restoring influences.
If you are a believer under sharp trials, may you be “in the Spirit,” that so when tribulations abound, consolations may abound also. If you are a believer walking close with God, rich in knowledge and experience, you will wish to be “in the Spirit,” that grace may be magnified, Jesus more loved, and His name more honored.
Reader, whatever you are, if you wish to be “in the Spirit” and would have your temporal and spiritual concerns prosper, make conscience of keeping the Sabbath day holy.
Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
Read more Hope for Today Devotions
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store