The question about “where did Cain get his wife” is a favorite of skeptics. It’s often used as a way to “trap” Christians and entice them to question their faith. The explanation is simple…and biblical, of course.
Cain was the son of Adam and Eve who was born after they were cast out of God’s perfect Garden because of their sin (Gen 3:24). Cain was the firstborn child and another son, Abel, was also born (Gen 4:1-2). The story is well known that Cain killed his brother Abel and the Lord put a curse on him and drove him out from the land of his family (Gen 4:8-15). From there he went to the land of Nod, east of Eden, where he took a wife (Gen 4:16-17). After this another son was born, Seth (Gen 4:25).
Since there were no other people on earth at the time, the question is fair. From where did Cain find someone to marry.
There is a logical answer to this initially perplexing question.
And Cain knew [had sexual relations with] his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. And he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son; Enoch.
Notice that the Bible doesn’t say that Cain found his wife in Nod. The Scripture just states that Cain had a wife and that they had children. Neither Scripture, nor history, implies that there were other people groups on the earth from which Cain could have he found a wife.
Cain Had Siblings
Notice also that Genesis 5:4 says that by the time Adam was 800 years old, Adam had had “other sons and daughters.” Adam lived a very long time (930 years total), and during this time were born “other sons and daughters.” Only mentioned are Cain, Abel, and Seth, but there were other siblings and a female among them would have been Cain’s wife.
Yes, Cain married one of Adam’s daughters. Such intermarriage was acceptable and necessary. It wasn’t until many generations later that God prohibited marriage between close relatives (Lev 18).
We are all descendants of Adam, including Jesus (Luke 3, 1 Cor 15:45). The reason God forbid close intermarriage was because of the introduction of genetic defects into the human race. This began in the Garden when Adam sinned, his physical body began dying, but it wasn’t until many generations later that it became a problem.
Yes, Cain’s wife was one of his sisters, because at that time only Adam’s offspring were alive. Their bodies were experiencing the dying process, yet their genetic makeup was pure enough that intermarriage would not have been a problem.
Who Was Cain’s Wife?
We don’t know, because the Bible doesn’t tell us. There are extrabiblical stories that try to tell about Cain’s wife, but they are not from God so they can’t be trusted as real truth. Whoever she was, we can just call her “Cain’s wife.”
Christian apologists Alex McFarland and Shari Abbott answer some of life's many questions concerning the gospel, faith, and the Bible by sharing Truth for a New Generation and Reasons for Hope found only in Jesus. For more information about apologist, evangelist, author, and religion and culture analyst, Alex McFarland, visit www.alexmcfarland.com. For more information about Shari Abbott, executive director of Reasons for Hope* Jesus, click here.
Truth for a New Generation (TNG) serves nationwide, featuring a multi-year conference tour and student-led club program to equip teenagers, parents, grandparents, and others who lead them to live for God. TNG's mission is to creatively communicate a compelling Christian worldview to the next generation by giving answers to tough questions, based on the truths of Scripture, and to build up the Body of Christ to stand strong and boldly proclaim the gospel in the world. For more information and resources visit www.truthforanewgeneration.com.
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store