Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Our Scripture for the day comes from the gospel of John,
- “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you. By this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.” (John 15:7-8 – NASB)
If we abide (“remain”) in Christ, and if His “words abide (“remain”) in” us . . . if this condition exists, our requests will be in accordance with God’s will. We will “ask whatever” we “wish,” and “whatever” we “wish” will be as Christ, through His Word, would instruct us. Remember, Jesus always abided in the Father, and always sought to do the Father’s will (John 4:34; 6:38; 8:29; etc.).
If this condition exists, we are “in” Him and His “words” are “in” us, then we will also “bear much fruit,” and the “Father” will be “glorified” and we will “so prove to be” Christ’s “disciples.”
So, the question, “What kind of fruit” will we “bear.” Some say this “fruit” pertains to those who are saved by God through the witnessing of the gospel by the saints. I would surely agree with that. When we witness for Christ and a soul comes to Him by the power of God’s Word, that is indeed “fruit.” But that is not the only “fruit.”
When we “walk by the Spirit” (Galatians 5:16), when we are “led by the Spirit” (Galatians 5:18), then the “fruit of the Spirit” becomes evident in our lives . . . the image of Christ is manifested. And how is this “fruit” described? Some of it is specified in Galatians, chapter five:
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23 – NASB)
If we are “abiding in” Christ, and if His “words” are “abiding in” us, this also is some of the “fruit” we will “bear.” These characteristics will be evident in our lives, characteristics that indicate we are being conformed to the image of Christ (Romans 8:29).
I guess what we need to ask ourselves is, “Are we abiding in Christ? Are we abiding in His Word? And such, is the fruit of the Spirit that which marks our character as we abide in Him and His Word?” Good to ask the question and good to do a personal check to determine what kind of “fruit” we are “bearing.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk do so by the Spirit, led by Him, bearing the fruit of the Spirit and thus being more and more like Christ.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas